Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Getting back into an old hobby

63 replies to this topic

#46 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,652 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:00 PM

rstaight ... I stand corrected.  Federal Statutes have changed since I was younger.  Businesses can refuse to take cash at all, if they so choose.  They can refuse large bills.  

The law now states that they have to accept US dollars and coins ... but then goes on to say they do NOT have to be physical, but can be electronic only.

And now I know.

Vicente ... I truly did not even go there in my mind's eye.  I don't see grain, or any pattern that looks like wood.  I do like the colors, though ... and the design of the knife.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#47 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:11 PM

it's from a burl very tight swirly grain.

#48 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,652 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:56 AM

Ah ... I should've figured that.  I've got a few pine burls.  The amount of sap in them makes them unsuitable for stabilizing.

Barbed hooks rule!

#49 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:15 AM

Haven't posted anything in here in quite a while, here's one I'm working on for a member here, the blades 15n20 high carbon steel, those will be the handle scales they're stabilized buckeye and resin hybrids with a white g10 liner.

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20190204_220619.jpg
  • PSX_20190204_221052.jpg

#50 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,652 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:24 AM

ohmy.png I'm eagerly awaiting more photos !!!

Barbed hooks rule!

#51 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:09 PM

I'm looking forward to it being worth posting more photos, here's the handle of another knife I made with the same block, it's not finished in the photo, still needed lots of sanding and buffing.

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20190205_170636.jpg

#52 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,652 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:56 PM

Yeah ... I love that !!!

I've GOT to get my garage sorted out, if I get enough time at home, to get back into knives and scales.

Barbed hooks rule!

#53 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:47 AM

A couple I just finished today, a lady bought them as a gift for her husband. The red on the chef knife handle is a red liner under a very very light grey tinted clear.

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20190210_214356.jpg
  • PSX_20190210_214319.jpg

#54 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,652 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:34 AM

Beautiful.  Very nicely done!

Barbed hooks rule!

#55 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,365 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:04 AM

Nice. I really like the chief one a lot.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#56 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:52 AM

Nice work.
Question...at what build stage are the knives heat treated. When they are blanks or after sharpening?

#57 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:45 AM

Thanks guys I really liked the way the handle on the chef's knife came out I wish I had better picture taking abilities.

Nice work.
Question...at what build stage are the knives heat treated. When they are blanks or after sharpening?

The heat treat can be done either before or after you do the bevels, typically if you grind bevels first you leave the edge about dime thickness then heat treat and finish grind after. I started doing all the bevels post heat treat a few months ago, it cuts down on warping and it's easier to do any straightening and flattening necessary post heat treat if the blank is all the same thickness. I don't actually sharpen them until the knife is completed and the sheath is made it makes it a bit safer, that chef's knife was ground close enough to 0 that when I etched it in vinegar it actually got extremely sharp which I realized when I cut myself the first time.

Edit on the post heat treat grind it's important to be careful not to over heat the blades I toasted a paring knife I have commissioned on the second to last finishing belt and now have to start over entirely.

#58 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:29 PM

Two knife set I finished up today, I think Mikechell will approve of the handle material, but he's acting weird lately not complaining that fly rods aren't blue and what not so I could be wrong.

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20190224_202508.jpg
  • PSX_20190224_202433.jpg

#59 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,365 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:32 PM

Nice I like the hybrid like that What's the wood? At first I thought maybe buckeye burl but now I'm thinking something else? Looks great, that should snap Mike out of his funk lol

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#60 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:13 AM

You're right Steve it's buckeye, I tend to request it any time I order a custom block, so much character and the tones go well with just about everything.

Reply to this topic