Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bonsai Garden 2018

44 replies to this topic

#31 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,365 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:59 PM

Prevents fungus as well as whitens it for a nicer look. Has to be re applied about once a year.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#32 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 04:08 PM

Welcome back from "work oblivion".  A few people were wondering where you disappeared to.

Looks like a good first attempt at jinning.  I sure hope that tree makes it through and recovers.  It's got some serious potential to be a showpiece.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#33 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,365 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

WCljaW.jpg

1ng64S.jpg

Not quite done yet but practiced a bit more on the 2nd of the $17 yews I bought last week. Been fun playing around with something new the past few days but gotta get back to some real work now tomorrow :(

Thanks Mike, I like that first one myself quite a bit. The base on that one has some really nice potential to it.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#34 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:47 PM

This one does, too.  Both of those can turn out to be centerpieces to any forest.

My envy grows.

Barbed hooks rule!

#35 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,365 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:01 PM

This one was really odd at first. I dunno if you have ever bought nursery stock like this when you use to be into bonsai but normally on nursery stock the actual base/nebari is buried under about 3" of soil. Thats to be expected with nurseries so when I was at the garden center I dug down about 3" and found what I thought was a twin trunk style all the way to the base. Wasn't till I got it out of the pot that I found this one's base was actually buried under about 10" of soil and it was a single trunk. The soil was so high it actually had roots coming out of the base of the twin trunk section which I had to clean up. I don't think I have ever seen one buried in THAT much soil blink.png

Headed to a "real" bonsai nursery about an hour away later next week. The guy that owns it is holding a really nice bald cypress for me that is gonna be an awesome tree in a few years. At the moment it is about 28" tall and has a trunk that is a good 4-5" dia with a 6" nebari spread. Can't wait to pick that up and start working on it.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#36 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 07:25 AM

That will be a first, no?  Store bought established Bonsai? 

Up to this point, if memory serves, you've developed your trees from standard growths.

Looking forward to seeing that cypress.  I've got two growing in my front yard.  Both planted at the same time as 20" sticks.  One is now about 30' high, the other is barely 10'.  They are less than 10 feet apart, but one just seemed to thrive better.

In my time, I didn't have any Bonsai Shops near.  All my trees were either garden store variety or taken from natural settings.  I was living in Columbia, S.C. at the time, and the Saluda River had rocky banks.  Trees would take root in depressions in the rocks that had some soil in them.  Natural Bonsai trees ... just waiting to be picked up, if you were lucky.  If they had heavy rains and had opened up the Lake Murray dam, all those trees get washed downstream.

Barbed hooks rule!

#37 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,365 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:06 AM

That will be a first, no?  Store bought established Bonsai? 

Up to this point, if memory serves, you've developed your trees from standard growths.

It's pretty much just one step beyond what I have bought up to this point.  It's basically a tree that was collected a year or two ago and had its roots pruned and then established into a pot last year but still has a ton of work to be done and lots of growing left to do. But the first step of getting it into a pot and acclimating to our Michigan winters for a year has already been done which is a good thing.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#38 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,365 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:11 PM

wL3B3Q.jpg

These darn nurseries really need to stop twisting my arm and forcing me to buy stuff. Stopped into a different local nursery this afternoon and saw this 3ft tall solid stone 100lb statue sitting on a little clearance cart. Reg price was $119 but it had clearance tag on it that said $20! I didn't even have to think twice about handing them a $20 bill for this thing. It looks great greeting you as you walk into my bonsai garden now :) 

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#39 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:55 PM

Is that a Jedi Knight ?

Barbed hooks rule!

#40 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,365 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:09 PM

Saint Obi - Wan :)

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#41 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,365 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:07 PM

Quick walk around the garden today. I can't believe summer is almost over. I swear the older I get the faster summer goes by :(

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#42 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:56 PM

Just stunning!  Absolutely stunning.

Mr. Miyagi, reincarnated.

Barbed hooks rule!

#43 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,365 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:00 PM

vTad11.jpg

Brought all the tropicals inside for the winter the other day and figured I would share a pic of the forest now that the new leaves have popped back out after a defoliated it a couple months ago. I really like the way this one is coming along now. It's looking so good I may even consider showing it next August at the local bonsai show.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#44 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,218 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:08 PM

I thought you'd picked up the statue to serve your Halloween candy.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#45 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:08 PM

Sweet.  Love the roots and crown shape of that forest.

Barbed hooks rule!

Reply to this topic