Fly Tying
Lesg

Amazing creatures

I just watched a short video of alligators in the northern part of Georgia where the water is starting to freeze. The gators are sticking their noses out of the water and getting frozen in and going dormant until things warm up. I find the ability of animals to adapt is truly amazing. I think these guys were here long before we got here and will be here long after we are gone. Any thoughts?

Agree. The more you keep an open mind and read about wildlife and ancient cultures the more questions are asked.

Alligators.

I live in Central Florida, so they are a normal part of the fishing day for me. I love to see them.

They feed mostly on fish, big 'gators = big fish. Generally, if I am bass fishing, I don't linger too long in areas where there are no 'gators. Once in a while, there'll be a big fish in there, but not normally. I concentrate my efforts on areas where I see 'gators.

You are correct, they were here LONG before man stood upright and started to "think". But they might not survive us.

Mankind has an ugly and careless way with all things and may cause many extinctions before our own rids the Planet of our infestation.

I agree Mike with our "ugly and careless way" but I think these critters and a lot of others might outlast us. Part of the reason is that they live in areas that we haven't figured how to totally screw up yet. At least I hope so.

I hope so, too. Just not convinced ... Everglades is prime example number 1. About as remote as you can get, human traffic-wise, and still it's threatened.

If we inhabit the globe long enough, we'll destroy most of it. It's just the way mankind is.

Correct me if Im wrong but back in the late 70s early 80s werent alligators considered endangered in Florida?

I can remember trying to get a permit to hunt one back in the early 80s and couldnt get one.

Man just needs to quit messing with Mother Nature.

I didn't know humans were an evasive species. If I felt that strongly that I was destroying the planet I would give up my creature comforts, conveniences and everything i willingly accept, encourage and desire in everyday life. The alligators will be just fine but when it's their time it's their time and nobody is changing that by talking about it.

Correct me if Im wrong but back in the late 70s early 80s werent alligators considered endangered in Florida?

I can remember trying to get a permit to hunt one back in the early 80s and couldnt get one.

Yeah ... alligators are one of the few success stories in re-population. But at the same time they're returning to healthy numbers, there habitats are being destroyed to make more houses, etc. The reduction in hunting helped them. There's been no environmental changes.

I didn't know humans were an evasive species. If I felt that strongly that I was destroying the planet I would give up my creature comforts, conveniences and everything i willingly accept, encourage and desire in everyday life. The alligators will be just fine but when it's their time it's their time and nobody is changing that by talking about it.

Of course we're an invasive (AND evasive) species. Where, on this planet, have we NOT destroyed the natural environment to "develop" our way of life? Where, on this planet, have we NOT over used resources until they're practically non-existent. My apologies to all of you who think Man is some kind of noble being ... we're not.

When "Avatar" came out, there was a backlash ... people upset by the portrayal of humans as destroyers willing to exterminate the N'avi for minerals.

I had to laugh, since we've done that very thing on this planet, to our own kind, since we learned how to old a club.

Yeah ... alligators are one of the few success stories in re-population. But at the same time they're returning to healthy numbers, there habitats are being destroyed to make more houses, etc. The reduction in hunting helped them. There's been no environmental changes.

Of course we're an invasive (AND evasive) species. Where, on this planet, have we NOT destroyed the natural environment to "develop" our way of life? Where, on this planet, have we NOT over used resources until they're practically non-existent. My apologies to all of you who think Man is some kind of noble being ... we're not.

When "Avatar" came out, there was a backlash ... people upset by the portrayal of humans as destroyers willing to exterminate the N'avi for minerals.

I had to laugh, since we've done that very thing on this planet, to our own kind, since we learned how to old a club.

Mike, I couldn't agree with you more, and I couldn't say it any better myself, so I won't try. Well said.

I'm not an advocate for world destruction but I enjoy the things modern society provides. I'm no different then the vast majority with one exception, I don't fake it or try to sound like I care more then the rest when my actions say I'm doing the exact same thing. as my father always said, words are meaningless, deeds and actions matter. Or as I like to say, walk the walk before talking the walk.

I don't advocate world destruction, either, but I expect it. In fact, one of the many reasons I didn't have kids is because I really don't think this world needs any more people.

I can, and do, use all the resources I need, without a care. I don't have to worry about it, since I'm not "leaving it to my children".

Life will go on after we die off, of that I'm sure.