Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
texag17

Using Jig Hooks

I purchased 100 jig hooks because you can get a price break at Allen hooks. I was planning on learning the crawdad craig pattern and it uses a jig hook. Now I have all these jig hooks and only know one type of fly on them. Can anyone suggest other good flies to tie on these? I'm sure I could tie any pattern on this but how do you know when to use a jig hook vs. a streamer hook? Here is a link of the ones I got.

https://www.allenflyfishing.com/j200-jig-streamer-hook/

My favorite ... actually, my only patterns I tie on jig hooks are crayfish (crawdad, mudbugs, etc.). I don't do them often, because they don't produce any better than my "goto" fly, which doesn't use a jig hook.

But jig hooks excel at keeping the hook point up ... so bottom bouncing/hugging patterns are great on them.

I've tied some woolly buggers on jigs. Here's a salt water streamers I tied on jig hook.

post-309-0-64883200-1556163252_thumb.jpg

I prefer the 60 degree or 45 degree jig hook to the 90 degree hook. I don't see them to often in fly tying catalog or sites.

Anything but a top water fly. I have started incorporating some in my Bream box that I put in a Hopper/dropper combo.