Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

BIG catfish on the fly AKA catching catfish on purpose :)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Harold Ray

Harold Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:05 PM

What size hooks did you use for those flies when fishing for big catfish?
Ray Emerson, D.V.M.
Waco, Texas

E-mail: [email protected]

Phone: Office: 254-772-3520, Cell: 254-744-2393

#17 Nomad77

Nomad77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:38 PM

I was told nothing less than an 8/0 hook would be appropriate...that is only if you are preparing for an encounter with a 50+ lb fish (or bigger). I am going off of data from a guy who gets after big cats with live bait and he said you have to put a lot of pressure on them right away so they cannot get into brush piles and break you off...The hookset and fight would need to be a very direct effort and a short of a fight as possible...Thoeretically, anyway.

#18 J.Z

J.Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:11 AM

I'm going to be living in Vietnam for a couple of years. Gonna try to fish as much as I can and who knows, mabye hook into one of those mekong beasts. Not sure if they are fishable or what they would take to, but you can bet ill put my time in.

#19 Nomad77

Nomad77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:51 PM

JZ- Please post pics, regardless of the outcome!

#20 J.Z

J.Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:33 PM

I head out in about 8 months, i will certainly post pictures the whole while I am there.

#21 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

JZ  What are you going to be doing in Vietnam?  Why are you going there ... if I may ask?

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#22 Nomad77

Nomad77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

This is my first go at a big catfish fly, or actually a fly for any big freshwater predator. It's a musky fly called a 'Swim Jimmy' by Brad Bohen and I tied this on an 8/0 Owner 5130-181"Beast Twistlock"..It's not a fly hook, but it was quite right for creating a 'hook point up' fly that might better surrvive being pulled in and around heavy cover:

IMAG0386.jpg

#23 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:13 PM

I strongly recommend mono or steel wire weed guards.  Even if it does "ride" hook point up, if it slides over a stick, it can cam over and precisely catch the stick.  I've watched hooks do this ... even jig hooks will cam over.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#24 Nomad77

Nomad77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:56 PM

Good Point...I had one do that just the other day on a 3/0 hook similar to this one...Thanks Mike!