Fly Tying
flytire

80 foot wave

That looks something like the waves I have to suffer when boaters run past too close !!!

Where do you even find an 80 foot wave with spectator seating. So what happened to the surfer?

I wanna know what happened the the guy on the very first jet ski at the start, looked like he dropped right the hell off the backside lol

The backside of a wave is pretty calm and mellow and usually much smaller than the height of the face.

Reminds me of the time I went to the bonsai pipeline with the intention of body surfing it. Then I got there. The locals told me the waves were only 10' but they were ginormous. I didn't even stick my toe in the water because the waves would crash right on top of you. Went and jumped off the cliff at wiamea falls instead.

Bonsai pipeline ... or Banzai pipeline, Poop?

Two completely different meanings, there.

I have never surfed ... actually never had the desire to (I don't like salt water), so I have no idea what it's like. But when you are so dwarfed by the wave that they needed to point you out on the video ... that's just nuts.

I use to surf back in my early teens...as far as Im concerned 8-12 are BIG!

Those guys are sducidal.

My uncle was a professional surfer and traveled all over the world in competition, even he wasnt that nuts.

My son-in-law has a DVD that is nothing but these maniacs surfing 30-80 foot waves. Its something to watch.

I have had two near death drowning experiences in the ocean... I dont like it and won't go more than waste deep anymore.

I use to surf back in my early teens

They had surfboards way back then??!! :P

😲

Yeah they were about 10 to 12 feet long....long boards.

You shouldve seen us ditching school on our Schwinn bicycles, with our homemade surf board trailers headed to the beach.

I had the Pea Picker with Ape hanger handle bars...I was so freaking cool.

We spent a lot of time with the truant officer.

😎

I think this is akin to Motocross now days(I did a lot of that too) these kids spend more time in the air then they do on the ground now days ....Crazy stuff

I'm not trying to make a comparison to that wave but one time we had my 24' cruiser I chartered in Duluth and heading back to Knife River where we'd put in. 3 of us on overnite fishing trip on Lake Superior. When we came back up the shore the water (and I've years and years on Superior) was "troubled". Big waves lacking solid pattern. A constant and tiring bit of navigating with throttle, wheel, and trim tabs. There I ran across something in years of rough Superior and Michigan waters I'd never seen before. We suddenly had a virtual basement in front of us. An almost square and 20 across and at least 10' deep hole in the water. I'm sure it was a freak of high waves all around created this illusion but I do know I had to do a violent turn and put full power to a 350 Chevy 4 barrel to push away from the grip of sliding down in there. My guess is if we'd have slid in there nothing would have happened as water readjusted and we'd be fine...but I didn't want to test that theory. That 30 mile or so trip was the longest and downright scariest I've ever done on Superior but with guys putting their trust in me I had to just keep calm and make a great boat perform like it was capable of. I will say that by the time I got back my wheel hand almost had to be pried off the wheel.

That story reminds me of my first at sea watch, somewhere between Labrador and Greenland, frigate taking green water over the signal bridge (my look out station), rolls up to 48* & pitch up to 37*,