Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xvigauge

Bought a New Rod Today

I am a fan of the older (1960's) glass fly rods and I have several. I have been looking for quite a while for an Orvis Full Flex glass rod, but can't find one so I finally gave up. Today I purchased a Reddington Butter Stick, 8' for a 5 weight line. It has the full flex feel I have been looking for. I fish primarily small pocket water streams for small trout in the GSMNP streams. Some might suggest that I should have bought a shorter 3 weight rod and normally, they would be right. But, I wanted a rod that I could also use for high sticking if I had the desire to and still be able to lay out a traditional cast and not get hung up on brush too much. Here in the Smokies I don't even pay attention to what line I use as I rarely cast more than 20 feet and just about any line will do. Can't wait to give it a work out.

Joe

Look forward to hearing more about the rod as you get experience with it.

Congrats xviguage, im also a fan of fiberglass rods, I have two of Chris Barclays rods. I have his 70p 4 wt. and his 82 synthesis 4/5. Great rods, I also have a epic 5 wt.,and my fenwick 806 that girl friend/ slash wife bought me when were going together. All are great rods for certain conditions, but I must say my favorite rod is my a Glommis 5 wt nrx lp. But I love them all and try to keep them all in the rotation.

Mike.

I have an old Shakespeare - by God - white fiberglass CB Antenna eight ft six weight rod. Teamed with a equally old Martin reel it actually makes a good slow-action bass bug tosser.

I also have an Eagle Claw six piece eight ft 5/6 wt "Trailmaster" yellow glass pack rod. The handle can be swapped end-for-end for a sinning rod. It's a better fly rod than spinning rod. ;-). I actually put many miles on mine and it has held up. Again, a very soft action but better than a willow switch. Whole lot of short, metal ferrules though. Not the best for sensitivity.

Congrats. Id love to see some pics of it in action with some Smoky Mountain brookies.

Another fiberglass fan here. The butterstick is one Id like to try but since its out of my budget right now I picked up a CGR 5/6. I also have a Proof 3wt and a 4wt steeldrifter built. Theyre perfect for the small lakes and ponds I fish from my kayak. The feel is so much better than the broomstick graphite rods I have.

I also have an Eagle Claw six piece eight ft 5/6 wt "Trailmaster" yellow glass pack rod. The handle can be swapped end-for-end for a sinning rod. It's a better fly rod than spinning rod. ;-). I actually put many miles on mine and it has held up. Again, a very soft action but better than a willow switch. Whole lot of short, metal ferrules though. Not the best for sensitivity.

I also have one of the Trailmaster rods and like Charlie, mine is better as a fly rod then a spinner. I still may have a white Shakespeare in my basement or I may have gotten rid of it. I don't remember, guess I should go through the rods in the basement to see what all is there. I'm not much of a fan of glass rods so if I have it, I haven't use it years.

Enjoy

I have five vintage 'glass rods that get used and one older graphite that I still keep. I've had several other graphite rods that didn't last.

8' is pretty much an ideal length for fiberglass to shine, shorter than 7'6" limits roll and mend and over 8'6" 'glass starts to be a little unwieldy, imo.

I likely would have picked a 6wt, just because.

I'm always looking for another 'glass rod to try, each seems to have it's own personality and overall 'glass is just more comfortable and maybe more forgiving than carbon. Particularly I like to take on a few Wonderods.

Congratulations on the new Butterstick, awaiting pictures of it with beautiful fish.

I have matched the new Butter Stick with a brand new Pflueger Medalist reel. The new Medalists have the same drag system as the English made Hardy and we all know how good those are. Along with a NOS, never used, SA 5 weight Air Cell, I am good to go. Hopefully in a few days as the temperatures here in the Smokies are warming up. Will give a full report then.

Joe

Old Fenwick's from the 1960's and 70's were REALLY fine rods and can be had fairly inexpensively on eBay. Old Hardy Jet's are great rods also but will cost more.