Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
texag17

Using a freshwater fly rod & reel for saltwater

Besides the fact of it being hard to cast if it is windy, can I use a 6 wt cabelas RLS combo in salt water? I am concerned about corrosion. Does anyone know if a good rinse off will prevent this or will it mess it up by getting salt water on it?

My concern would be the 6 WT. I think you will abandon the 6 wt real quick. just rinse the rod, guides, reel and line well. When you think its rinsed off good rinse it off again and then again. Strip the line off and wash in soapy water, rinse and wipe down as well. Dont return used flies to the box until you rinsed them to. Rinse at the end of every day.

I split time in fresh and salt water and corrosion is not an issue with just a little care of your equipment

Thanks for your help. I probably won't attempt fly fishing if it is windy. I will get a 8 or 10 wt one day that will be set up for salt water.

I use my 6 wgt, most of the time, in salt water. It's easier on my casting shoulder than an 8 wgt if I want to fish more than an hour or so. I have a couple of spare spools for my reel. One is rigged with an intermediate line, the other with a fast tip sinking line. I use either of them when I'm fishing salt water. Both cut through any reasonable wind easier than a floating line. You don't necessarily need large flies to fish the salt, most of mine range from 1 1/2 to 4 inches long. I tie my own so I can tailor the flies for the rod weight, so I have a few that are 6 or 7 inches long that I can cast with my 6 wgt. I pretty much follow the same routine that Poopdeck does for the gear, wash down, rinse etc. Wash and dry any flies you use before you put them back in your box. Based on my experience you should be able to handle fish up to 5 lbs without much of a problem.

I too use a 6 weight rod for a lot of my inshore Saltwater fishing. I can usually find places that give me relief from the wind. NONE of my rods were "Saltwater" rods. and NONE of my rods show any corrosion. I rinse every rod and reel I use after each and every trip. I do this with HOT water. Hot water will dissolve the salt while cold water won't do a good job. I also strip the line off the reels into the bucket and then rewind through a microfiber cloth to keep them clean. None of my lines are marketed as "Saltwater" lines. I have been fishing these rods on a continuous weekly basis for the last 7 years. No problems at all. I have a Cabelas rod, a Sage, an Echo, and my favorite is a Maxxon Double XX. The Sage and Echo are 8 weights, the others are 6 weights.

I've been known to take it all in the shower with me and string the line and backing up on the curtain rod to dry afterwards. Backing needs washing too and the reel can come apart for a good rinse. I fished ordinary tackle in the salt fairly often for a few years and if you get the salt off the same day the tackle should be fine. Flies also need really good wash and rinse and dry before going back in the box, especially if the box is metal.

Flies also need really good wash and rinse and dry before going back in the box, especially if the box is metal.

Just an FYI ... this applies to any fishing. I've got flies, and lures, that have never been near salt water, but rust like northern car fenders !!!

I think it all revolves around your expectations. If you are using a freshwater outfit because you can't find the same outfit built for saltwater service, you can't expect the useful lifetime to be too many years. Of course, maticulous cleaning will help extend lifetime.

I look at saltwater gear in two ways - spend the money for high quality (and of course take care of your equipment) and you will have many years of service. Or, don't spend a lot and know it will need to be replaced. Much of the decision will be based on the amount of usage each type of equipment is expected to deliver.

Still using a 1990's Orvis #6 weight & CFO Saltwater Disc with spare spool for snookin' on the beach in spring & summer with a WF-I & wading flats with a WF-F that only needs a daily after fishing shower treatment most of the time. Reel is easy to service & lube if it gets an accidental dunking, which gets rinsed off every day due to salt spay being in the winds & also helps in cleaning fly lines before retreating with Glide after they get dried & wiped off to fly fish with the next day.