Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How young can you teach a child to fly fish?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 mikechell

mikechell

I'm Mr Freezemieser I'm Mr Snow!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,223 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:17 PM

Great image, flytire !!!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#17 Charlie P. (NY)

Charlie P. (NY)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:43 PM

I was probably kindergarten age and my Grandpa or Aunt (who lived nearby) would take me to a local creek and I would pester chubs and daces with a fly on a cane pole and a wet fly.  No reel.  

I even caught some.  Made me a life-long fisherman.

In fact, I still have a 12 ft cane pole and a 14 ft Tenkara rod - no reel needed - that I still occasionally play with.  No question worms and bobbers off a shore or dock are probably easier for kids; but panfish are obliging and a lot of fun with flies.   

Not that Pearsall

Pearsalls_logo.gif

#18 miketipp

miketipp

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:44 AM

too early?

456c014e11da2f148e6b0d8bd96a6680.jpg

Class. :)

#19 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:21 PM

It really all depends on the child.
Joe

I have to totally agree, depends on the child.  My son never got interested in fishing of any kind, except ice fishing when he was 5 or 6 and that didn't last long.  However my grandson showed a genuine interest in fly fishing at age 4, which is when he got started; never went the bait route until much later.  He is now 16 and has been my fishing buddy since he was 4; that is until he discovered jeeps and girls.  If you introduce fly fishing, you might want to consider an 8 or 9 foot Tenkara rod as the child will learn the casting strokes without having to manage line as well.  Lot of people will disagree with that as they consider Tenkara nothing more than cane pole fishing but there is a definite casting stroke and has been recommended as a way to start anybody (young and old) out in learning fly casting. 
that's a great idea. My son is 3 and has a sponge Bob closed face kiddy rod. It came with these sponge lures that entertain him quite well. Still needs a little help casting when there's a real hook on there, though. I think if he shows interest in fly fishing I may get him a tankara rod to try first.

#20 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:25 PM

I think that spinning gear with the bobber and sinkers and baits that fall/fly off from centrifugal force are more difficult for youngsters than a simple roll cast.

No bobber or bait. It’s a clear bubble/bobber you can fill with water to get your desired depth.
Half full it still floats and you fish a dry fly behind it...3/4 full and it sinks a little and fish wet flys behind it.
Something like this you thread your 6-8 pound test line through the bobber tie on a swivel and then add some 2lb tippet and your fly.

7-B52-EBDC-9-EAC-4691-B1-E1-55-E7474-A5-