Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Saltwater fly reel recommendation

Can I get some recommendations for a fly reel that will hold a lot of backing and work for sail fish and possibly tarpon. It will be put on a 12 weight rod. This could possibly be a one time trip, so I dont want to invest big bucks.

Thanks

Tom

If it's a one time "charter" trip ... check to see if they have the equipment you'll need. My understanding is: most charters require you to bring nothing with you.

Thanks, but this is for a friend and he wants a complete outfit. The Reddington Behemoth does not have a sealed drag. Is that a necessity if you thoroughly clean out the salt after each use? Does the Echo Bravo have enough room for backing? What about the Lamsons?

A Lamson would be a good option, all their reels have the same dray configuration no matter what level price. I can also recommend the cleaning of your reels used in Saltwater.

Lamson is probably the best budget option for something like that, if it's a guided trip though I would use there's it would suck up lose a great not to mention expensive fish because your budget gear wasn't up to it.

Check out the Ross Evolution R used on Ebay. You don’t need the R Salt as the R works perfectly well.

One of the best values in reels is Danielsson. They sell directly to their customers and their prices are appreciably lower than anyone else for a comparable, fully machined, sealed drag reel. Very easy to deal with and impressively quick shipping.

OK, Ill be the bad guy 😀. To me, the statement one time trip, dont want to invest big bucks, when talking about sails or tarpon, is an oxymoron...just by virtue of fishing for them, you (he) are investing big bucks. And the addiction factor...well...one time is relative....

Check out articles by Jake Jordan...you dont need a Mako/Charlton reel, but since the gig is more fighting from the reel, at least spring for a Tibor around $7-800.

I have Allens, Lamson, etc. etc. and they are perfect for bonefish, musky, taimen, jacks, permit, steelhead, etc.,etc.,, but for sails and tarpon, go one step higher. Drag is very important...

Item #1 - you don't want the same reel for sails or marlin (blue water fish where you need a ton of backing...) as you do for giant tarpon where you only need at most 300 yards of 30lb backing...

Item #2 - fly reels for big fish are not an item where you want something "adequate" since lower end reels will fail on you - usually when you're really needing your gear to hold up....

What I've recommended to my own anglers for many years is to look around for good quality gear - that's been used a bit (and if you look - you can find the bigger reels, often as part of a entire setup... that were only used very few times then allowed to gather dust in a closet somewhere..).

Here's a reel that I'd recommend for tarpon every time... I have one (actually two of them one for 12wt line and the other for 10wt... a Tarpon and a Bonefish model...) and will never sell either... A Billy Pate reel is a bit heavier that current high end reels - but it will never fail you for giant tarpon, giant trevally, or monster sharks (but I wouldn't recommend one for Mako sharks or other fish that just scream off hundreds of yards on the first run out in bluewater... like a medium sized yellowfin tuna...

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/fs-billy-pate-tarpon-direct-drive-rh-275.65066/

A note about the Billy Pate series of reels from Tibor... These were the original reels from Ted Jurasick, built to last forever (not counting drag washers...) they don't have a single bearing in them. Unlike more modern reels the handle parts are not inter-changeable (and Tibor no longer has the ability to convert them) so right hand (my preference - I'm old school and that's the way all of us were taught - forty years ago...) or left hand that's how they come...

For that bluewater scene - if you really want to tangle with billfish a good reel is the Tibor Marlin - and every now and then I see one for sale that doesn't look like it was ever used... Since there's so few buyers for this size reel - they're usually being offered at a very serious discount (for a world class bluewater fly reel...).

As for that Tarpon model above - at $275 including shipping, that's a good price in my book.... it will outlast more than one owner if cared for...

Good luck and post up whatever you choose...

Thanks to everyone for responding and giving me thoughtful answers. I have forwarded the information to my friend. Now the decision is his and I will support whatever he decides.

Thanks

Tom