Fly Tying

hi everyone, I've been doing a bit of research on what the hardest fighting freshwater fish in the world is, pound for pound. and everyone seems to have a different opinion. some say mongolian taiman, others say golden mahseer, and some say natal yellowfish, and there are many, many more opinions out there. Ive caught a couple of natal yellowfish, and tend to agree that these things fight SUPER hard. I've caught 30 inch trout, massive carp, and 6lb bass. but, pound for pound the yellowfish does seem to fight much harder. what do you think?

Bluegill and other sunfish. Ounce for ounce, the hardest fighting fish in the world.biggrin.png

I don't know the other fish you mention ... and will likely never see them, so I'm sticking with my answer.wink.png

What Mike said, ounce for ounce bluegill; but the pound for pound, idk, I need to catch more big fish I guess.

I don't even believe in taiman, mahseer and other stuff that sounds like that. Myths and dangerous myths, stranger than sandy claws.

The hardest fighting fish are the biggest fish. When I get done traveling the world I'll let you know. So far Ive fished the crap out of PA, NJ, and SC and a little of VA and MI and the hardest fighting ones were the biggest ones caught in the most current.

Other than what may have been a tiger musky which nearly spooled 200 yards before breaking off; peacock bass are like smallies on steroids & closer to or even harder than saltwater fly fishing fights with a number of species.

I haven't caught enough different species to answer this question with any authority, but I do recall fighting Chinook ("King") salmon on my father-in-law's boat on Lake Michigan. Even with a mighty thunderstick of a rod and a 26-foot boat with twin V-6 engines pulling against it, it could take 10-15 minutes to land a big one. That has to be in the running at least. :)

There is no right or wrong answer. Like what Justin Wilson said when answering the question "What wine goes best with fish?" whatever wine you like. Which fish fights the hardest? Whatever fish you like.

Joe

I've never battled much outside of Florida other than trout. Pound for pound an Oscar would have my vote. They'd pull a bluegill of the same size backwards. Heck they are all tail!

I'm not qualified to answer your question. My opinion would be various salmon but lb for lb who knows for sure. A bluegill is indeed mighty scrappy on a light rod.

Pound for pound in fresh water(I'm in North Eastern US) it's gotta be a bluegill or other sunfish. The tall body gives them so much resistance in the water for their size. They're almost permit shaped. Oddly though I find that crappie hardly fight much at all in comparison, considering their body shape. Best fight I've ever had out of a freshwater fish (non for caught, sorry) was a big flathead catfish in a river. Even with heavy gear they pull so much dragyou start to think they're just never gonna stop.