Fly Tying
CGull

Nymphs

Welcome to the site, CGull.

I fish warm water, still and slightly moving water in Central Florida. Anything I fish that is nymph-like, I let it hit the bottom, then give it quick little twitches. Speed is usually one twitch every 5 to 10 seconds. If they are hitting it quickly, I'll slow down to a twitch after each 20 to 30 seconds or so. If I still don't get hits, I'll try stripping it in without letting it get more than a couple of inches below the surface.

Still nothing? Time to move on.

St. Johns River ... Deltona/Deland/Sanford area. Fresh water fishing only. I don't have anything made to withstand salt water.

If I think I'm fishing around caddis larvae I fish with long drops and steady pulls as caddis tend to make a long run for the surface.

For stoneflies and damsel I tend to fish a slow steady fig8 with an odd longer pause pull.

It really does help to know what nymphs are about where you fish.

Some fly shops post what the common hatches are at given times of the year, obviously now is spring LOL . But they may even break it down into months of the season or what fly has been hot in the last week. Fly fishing clubs sometimes will list hot flies of the month or season at their websites. And of course you can always talk to local fly fishermen. And if you search enough in the internet you can often find what works where.

Yes I can see that. Is there zone thing I can read?

Nymphs are easy.

1) Find a hatch chart for your area/water.

2a) For every entry that is a mayfly, substitute the name of the mayfly for "Hare's Ear & Pheasant Tail" in the size listed.

2b) For every entry that is a stonefly, make it a stonefly nymph...do them in black and ginger for each size.

2c) For every entry that is a caddisfly, you'll have to do a bit more research. Find out if it's a cased or free living caddis, and tie an appropriate caddis larva imitation. Add some LaFontaine deep and emergent pupa in green and tan in the right sizes too...maybe some peacock & grizzly soft hackles too.

3) Address any bugs that didn't fit those groups: midges, crane flies, damsels, etc.

4) Go fishing. Unlike the dry fly fishing, the nymphs are always in the water, and as such, are always (in theory) available to the fish. If you're getting stumped, flip over a few rocks in the stream where you're fishing and check out what's creeping and crawling underneath and match it as closely as you can with your nymphs.

In moving water I try to fish the nymphs dead drift. The naturals are not such strong swimmers that they can fight the current. Someone once likened it to fishing a dry fly only you can see neither the fish or the fly.

On still water it is a case of varying the retrieve until I start contacting fish. Then stay with what works. It varies to much to have any fixed method. It is a good idea to count the nymph down from when it hits the water to when you start to retrieve.

Cheers,

C.