Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Rate my Clouser 2.0

Hey guys, i took into account of all the suggestions that you guys made. I hope their was an improvement since it took several tries, thx post-59033-0-56945300-1462234692_thumb.jpg

It'll definitely catch fish which is the aim.

I would personally aim to make a full thread head so you wont see any hair from dumbbell to hook eye. Also try to finish a little further from your hook eye so you don't crowd it.

Did you watch the video?. This is not much better than your first one. See my comments in the photo (I edited your's.)

post-12074-0-84619400-1462239008_thumb.jpg

It's a little better. Otherwise everything utyer said. I would add in that the colors are not my first choice. The darker color (the top color) should be on the hook point side. I would not use that color combo but if I did I would switch their position.

Still room to improve but I will say that it is an improvement over the first one you showed. The first had the materials all off the general area hook point rearward, you moved it all forward.

The point made about the underfur is a good one. Here is a very short little video on preparing bucktail for tying in on streamers and incidentally, it works on some synthetics too: http://globalflyfisher.com/video/preparing-bucktail

clouserminnow_olive_g-e1421714406945.jpg

the eyes on top of the hook shank will turn the fly over to ride hook point up like that shown above

the eyes should be positioned at the 1/3 point of the hook shank. starting behind the eye of the hook divide the straight part of the shank into threes. use a fine marker on the shank if you have to

white thread is perfectly acceptable to use for clousers. finish the head as shown above

the light colored bucktail or equivalent = the belly of the minnow

the dark colored bucktail or equivalent = the back of the minnow

your clouser 2.0 has it reversed

watch bob clouser tie the clouser minnow and listen to his tips while he is tying. he knows how it should be tied

Flytire has posted the video to watch...over and over again.

If you have the basic tying skills mastered then the above video will get you to where you need to be with regards to the Clouser.

For closer comparison.

Flytire's example and yours ... note the differences.

slow down and make each step accurately. You can't get better if you're rushing things.

If you watch the video he ties the eyes further back on the hook shank, it lets the fly glide/swim through the water like bait. The more you place the eyes toward the eye the more jig like action. Both placements have their place and time to be effective. This is a very simple fly but everything was very well thought out by the inventor. YouTube bob clouser tying and discussing the fly, it is very informative or by his book.

you're close, don't give up.

learn to walk before running. tie a traditional clouser minnow before branching off with unusual colors. you already have chartreuse, buy some white buck tail, it's the traditional standard color combo. white is used so often, anyone tying clousers needs to have white bucktail. and clousers catch so many different species of fish in so many waters as a chartreuse/white combo, it's a great investment.

ANOTHER GOOD INVESTMENT, is to BUY a clouser from a fly shop. keep it right next to the next one you tie so you can see how yours follows or branches off from the design, and correct as needed.

also buy some white thread. it too is used often, a staple in a tyer's supplies. clousers are often tied with white or red thread. get both.

the flash material is supposed to resemble the dividing line between top and bottom coloration of a baitfish. do not tie it on the top/bottom. again, the flash material is supposed to resemble the dividing line between top and bottom coloration of a baitfish. do not tie it on the top/bottom. and as somone already posted, white is the bottom portion of the baitfish/fly

when selecting the bucktail (from the center portion of the backside), you need to pull out the short hairs (and any really long ones), so all hairs are similar in length. someone posted a video link to prepping bucktail. watch it.

and really REALLY work on tying the head portion. you want a nicely tapered, clean head on front, all thread, do not allow bucktail to peek through at the front. it's a simply designed fly but the details make it a clouser. those big eyes just look too big to me (are they dumbbell eyes?) but if positioned better, just a tad farther back. they would look better proportionally.

I'm looking forward to version 3.0!

eric

fresno, ca.