Fly Tying
vb1971

Pest Bird Feathers for Fly Tying

Hi all,

I currently have a Sparrow and Indian Myna problem at home due to the availability of grain we use to feed our chickens.

Before I get the air rifle out (legally of course) can anyone tell me what they may have used feathers from these birds in the past for?

A pic of the birds below

Note: I live in Australia and both these species are introduced and invasive.

post-54218-0-01221600-1469601729_thumb.jpg

post-54218-0-64619800-1469601732_thumb.jpg

just a guess but some feathers could be used for soft hackles, wing cases, legs, tails, down tied wings etc

the sparrow? (on the right) looks to be kinda small

Cheeks or eyes on streamers, perhaps. Most of the feathers will be too short for anything else. The wing feather stems are too strong for palmering, but the barbs might make good legs, antennae or tails, as flytire suggested.

Maybe good earrings for the Wife?

I've never found a use for English Sparrow. We don't have Myna in the eastern US, that I know of. Now Starling, that's got lots of uses....

Best advise is to knock off a bird, or two, and check it out. The Myna is big enough that it might make good soft hackles. Look of interesting textures and colors. Who knows, you may find a good use for them.

Both can be used actually!Several old salmon fly patterns call for these feathers.The sparrow body feathers can be dyed easily and used as substitutes for more expensive stuff.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Zip would you know the names of any of the salmon flies?

hey Thurst, they do behave like birds of prey and kill juveniles of native birds and marsupials

Cheers

Myna birds are members of the Starling family. Just like Starlings, they are scavengers that take advantage of any food source. They don't have the ability to "take prey", but will raid a nest or attack a helpless newborn. Hawaii is rife with them, too. I learned about them when I was there teaching classes.

Teaching classes is cruel? I guess maybe Mike's way of teaching?

Actually if you enjoy teaching as much as I did (Community College), then it's all good, even without the whips. Of course a little excitement never hurts.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Zip would you know the names of any of the salmon flies?

hey Thurst, they do behave like birds of prey and kill juveniles of native birds and marsupials

Cheers

I'll find em for ya.Got a book around here somewhere

Actually if you enjoy teaching as much as I did (Community College), then it's all good, even without the whips. Of course a little excitement never hurts.

I've been teaching for this company ... wow! Next February will be 20 years !!!

I haven't worked a day since I started here. Too much fun to call it "work".

I've been teaching for this company ... wow! Next February will be 20 years !!!

I haven't worked a day since I started here. Too much fun to call it "work".

And you say you hate people, Mike you can't teach, be effective, interact with students etc. and not love people. It would be an oxymoron.