Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

RBF: inlaying feathers over epoxy question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 RBF Staff

RBF Staff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

So I'm making this spey rod. I have inlayed a line of pheasant feathers over black thread ( after applying CP to both thread and the feathers) - all came out real nice. I finished decorative wraps and put one coat of flex coat lite over all wraps and the feather inlay- we are talking about a 8-9 " region that has 1 continuous coat of epoxy ( over decorative wraps, feather inlay and rod manufacture - SAGE- screened on label) .

So here is where I noticed a mess up on my end. Some how during the process of laying down the feather inlay- I didn't check exactly where center line on the rod was- well I was checking everything out last night and found I am off by about 25 degrees- in other words the feather line sits off to the left of the center line of the blank by 25 degrees when the reel is in place- major screw up on my end.

I'm guessing I have 2 options

1) I know one would be to cut away all the epoxy . thread . feathers .... then re- do all the wrapping and feather inlay- would be a considerable amount of work - was a fairly involved, decorative wrap. Really don't want to do this unless absolutely necessary

2) I could just cut out the section of epoxy and 4" long feather inlay - re-wrap the under layer of black thread and re- apply feathers and the re-epoxy. Question- Will the junction where I cut the old epoxy to re-wrap and where I place the new epoxy blend together OK- I realize 2-3 coats will be needed

3) I have thought about applying another line of feathers- to mirror the first set- but this line would be 25 degrees to the right of rod centerline - so I would have 2 lines of identical looking feathers each 25 degrees off center- basically making it look that is how I wanted it to be. Question- can I apply CP on the feathers on top of the previous epoxy, then epoxy over the second set of feathers ( 2-3 coats)??

Thanks for any insight

Bamboo bob

Reply to topic here http://www.rodbuildi...showtopic=32276