Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

RBF: U5 style reel seat from newbie

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 RBF Staff

RBF Staff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

Hi Folks-

My first post. Tons of great information here and I really appreciate you offering a newbie some advice. I've built about a 6 rods now and have learned a ton during each build. Thus far I have used slide band reel seats and U3 style seats for each one. I recently purchased quite a few pre-made grips with inletting and was realized the inletting is of a "key hole" design instead of the uniform inletting I used with the U3 seats. Upon searching for appropriate reel seats to fit this inletting I realized there aren't a lot out there to choose from. I guess my options are to adjust the inletting to accept a U3 style or to find a nice U5 (I hope I'm using the correct terminology) to fit. The inletting has very little cork material to work with (they grips are a thin cigar type) so I'm worried if I start taking cork away I may ruin the grips. So my question is..... can you point me in a direction for a nice, yet fairly inexpensive, reel seat that will fit this style inletting. Alternatively, do you have any suggestions as to how to shape it to fit another style?

I'm sure this is a newb question; however, I'm just trying to learn and ended up with a bunch of cork grips that are made of nice cork compared to my other builds and I don't want to ruin them. I'm also trying to build these rods pretty cheap since they are just for me and my friends and family and never going to be sold.

Thanks for your time and tight lines!

CW

Reply to topic here http://www.rodbuildi...showtopic=32311