Fly Tying
feathers5

Inexpensive Pike Fly Hooks

I couldn't believe the price on the ones I saw. A buddy is going up to Canada and asked me to tie him a few pike flies. Can anyone point me in the direction of some cheaper hooks. I guess I need 2/0 3/0 or 4/0? I've never tied a pike fly.

Thanks

PS. I need the hooks in a matter of days as they are leaving in just two weeks.

Eagle 0272A (long shank)

Eagle 254clf (short shank)

Both should be avialble at Walmart.

At some point, I picked up some 3/0 Eagle Claw Aberdeen style hooks. Thought it was from Jann's Net Craft but if it was they don't carry them anymore. The one thing you need to consider with Mustad and Eagle Claw is that you often have to buy 100 hooks when ordering from a catalog or on line. If you're only going to tie a dozen or so, you might want to look at Gamakatsu, Owner or VMC long shank spinner bait or worm hooks or the Partridge Predator hooks. In terms of hook size, size 1 to 4/0 would work. Depends where your friend is going to in Canada, is it a destination pike lake or just a lake that has pike in it. Keep them simple, check out Bob Popovics' "Semper Fleye". All white, red/white, Chartreuse or yellow or combinations of them have worked for me on a lake in Northern Ontario.

Not the cheapest out there but reasonable for good hooks, the umpqua U series are fairly priced.

They came in a 50-pack, but I figure I'll tie some for myself. I'm thinking I can use the flies for pike and bass. Does that sound logical?

Not the cheapest out there but reasonable for good hooks, the umpqua U series are fairly priced.

401 series ...correct?

I just buy hundred packs of b10s from gamakatsu. Wanna say it is about 28 dollars or so retail.

They came in a 50-pack, but I figure I'll tie some for myself. I'm thinking I can use the flies for pike and bass. Does that sound logical?
Sounds very logical.

401 series ...correct?
I don't think so I think it's just u series four the hook line which has a bunch of different models. Just Google u series the jig hooks are great.

Can you guys source Sakuma mantas over there? Very sharp, strong and good shank length for tying.

Friends who make annual trips to Canada for pike have changeed to heavy wire SS saltwater hooks.

TheY had too many large fish straighten traditional standard wire large hooks.

Regards,

FK