Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Cicada info

After hearing so much about this ugly little bastard of a bug i am a bit intreged to learn abit more about them just in case i come across any of them while on the river over memorial day.

I talked to will and he was telling me that they are usally dispersed in different areas (one area will have lots and few miles away nothing) so what type of area is most likely to have these bugs? i have heard that they live under ground and feed off tree roots but is there anything else that is important to them that might concentrate a larger amount of them in one area.

Just in case there on some on the river in 2 weeks and a big ol brown is feeding on them i want to be prepared.

SD

They live in the root system of trees until emerging, not sure if any particular kind. So maybe a place with lots of trees.

Steve I don't think they concentrate in any particular type of area, they just concregate in areas do there thang, lay their eggs and die. The best option would be is to ask the locals, maybe a fly shop in the area if they had a big emergence in the area 17 years ago. If they did then, it should happen there this time as well.

Considering these things are the equivalent of a C-123, like their land bases, have no real affinity for water and aren't very likely to be on the surface unless knocked down by something larger, I don't think you're gonna find a pattern.

I just got back from a fishing trip in Utah and 50% of my fish were on a foam cicada pattern. Find out the color and size of your local cicadas, get the right color of foam and tie some foam cicadas. They are easy to tie and browns, cuts and bows all love them!

Here's one variant and you should be able to find other pictures of the Cicada Trude on other sites.

post-31-1085002756.jpg

Consult the Brood Chart:

Magicicada Brood Chart

Brood Life span ( 17 or 13 year ) Year Where? X 17 1953, 1970, 1987, 2004, 2021 DE, GA, IL, IN, KY, MD, MI, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WVA, Washington DC

These are the states where the hatching will occur.....Here in pa they stated in the se. part a week ago...Just started to sing today.... biggrin.gif

They're cicadas. Later in the year you also get the mormon crickets (talk about a big ugly bug!) They were talking about the brood x there also but the only ones hatching when I was there were the yearly ones. My friend brought one back, I'll se if I can take a picture of it to post.

Cicadas don't kill flowers or shrubs, but they will do minimal damage to deciduous trees (maples, oaks, fruit trees). Unless you have an orchard or a prize ornamental fruit tree I wouldn't worry. Cicadas actually are a benefit to trees, as they destroy the weaker branches. Please don't use pesticides — you'll destroy the good bugs as well and the "nuisance" bugs, and ultimately do your garden and the environment a huge disfavor.,

there's a chance they'll emerge in your area, but it is not certain that they will. You won't find them in everybody's back yard. If you don't have many deciduous trees in your neighborhood, you probably won't find any. Pesticides, construction, extreme weather conditions and tree removal are also factors. There are no guarantees.

How long does a Magicicada emergence last?

Answer: About a month. First, you'll find "soil chimneys" around your yard. A few days later, they emerge as nymphs, but they don't all emerge on the same day. It might take a week or more for every cicada in your area to emerge. Once they emerge they climb what they hope is a tree, they shed they shells, and begin to dry their new wings. Once their new skin and wings are dry and hardened, they begin to fly around looking for mates. After they mate, the male, exhausted, quickly begins to die. Once the female find a branch to scratch and lay her eggs in, she also begins to die. Your dog eats them. The eggs hatch and the larvae begin feeding on the branch sap. When they're big enough (about the side of a grain of rice) they fall to earth and start digging. If they fall into your hair it's kind of gross. They dig and find a root suitable for sucking. 17 years later they emerge again.

I've never been anywhere and seen the actual brood x hatch but just normal cicada hatches are pretty spectacular. You hear them everywhere and their sheds are all over the underside of tree branches. Last year on the Green they were coming up under our tent at night and you could hear them against the fabric. The cicadas here in central New Mexico are even bigger. They are almost twice as large as the ones I saw in Utah. Fish love them though!