Fly Tying
zip

A few good...flies

Hey gents!Headed to Destin for an offshore trip,but planning to hit around with the 8wt after.I've got a fair assortment of salt flies,but I'm curious as to a handful of go-to's you keep on hand for the area.

Thanks and all the best!

These crabs are timely now as redfish, pompano, cobia, and tarpon all eat them.

post-55273-0-64455200-1495026977_thumb.jpg

Thank you,Sir!What size is it tied in?

Check out www.shallowwateroutfitters.com and the Ole Florida Flyshop in Watercolor. I have used and recommend both. Can tell you what is going on. Santa Rosa Beach has a cool beach lake. Check it out. Can rent a canoe and fish in it. Has largemouth and salt species.

When I fished for redfish there the best fly was a black fluffy clouser thing probably a size down from 1/0. It had purple flash. The other was a spoon fly.

I lost a large trout next to the boat 7lb plus on a Zara spook there. It was way too windy and wavy too fish a fly. I did later when it calmed down some went back into the bay.

Have a good trip. I used to go to Watercolor a lot. It is a beautiful area. Now when I travel to Florida I generally rough it in Key Largo.

Thanks for the info Kudu!I'll check those out.Must be really bad to rough it in key largo hahaha!

Zip!! I am actually also going to Destin June 7-11 to do some bottom snapper fishing with like 8 other of the crazy old guys in my family haha. I am definitely bringing a fly rod(s) as well! Does anyone know of somewhat easy access to a spot that i coud wade or fish from like for trout reds etc..

Also, zip when will you be there?

Carson-I'll be there right after you,buddy!Gonna hit offshore on the 17th for snapper and grouper season.The charter is through Capt.Eric Thrasher with the "Game On".Did you guys have a hard time finding a charter?99% were booked solid into fall.

As for a spot to hit...I'd use the tools Kudu gave me.Looks promising!All the best,buddy!

Flats, along with beachside areas look for any places on the water where there's a light off of a dock that attracts fish for some night action. Find one and you'll want to be there every night... Remember that fish around docklights will know you're there if you're close so try to figure out a place to stand where you're about 30 or 40 feet away from the light. Small baitfish patterns, and shrimp patterns usually do the trick around docklights - and white is the only color you'll need.

Locally I'll be starting my first summer night trips this coming week. They'll be a staple all summer long (which is a good thing since the Glades are turning into mosquito heaven right now....). Docklights anywhere in Florida during warm months will almost always hold fish with different species around them depending on what part of the state you're in.... Post up how you do.

Pensacola has a fishing forum but don't remember exact logon on but find it and you'll find a bunch of info there for the panhandle.