Fly Tying
dogfacedoc

Lamps for fly tying nights

I'm working with Project Healing Waters and our venue for fly tying nights is not the best for light. I'm still young enough that I can see the thread, but some of the older guys are having difficulties. Last tying night I used my cell phone flashlight to help a guy tie a woolly bugger. I was thinking of picking up a few led lamps, the problem is that outlets are at a premium. Do you guys know of any decent battery operated ones? I'm going to make some backdrops, probably out of posterboard or something similar, to help them see a little better.

Don't know your budget, but I use a flexible handle that hooks on my vise stem and holds a small led flaslight. Cost $20-30. I think it was from feather craft.

My opinion is to take an extension cord and a power strip. We've powered 15 led lamps from one power strip at fly tying nights I attend. Here is what I use. It's on sale for 5 bucks.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selections-13-25-in-Adjustable-Stainless-Steel-LED-Clip-On-Clip-Desk-Lamp-with-Metal-Shade/1000003084

I modified mine by getting rid of the clip and adding an extension tube that slips over a rod I added to my vise base.

post-48414-0-56078400-1569713404_thumb.jpg

My opinion is to take an extension cord and a power strip. We've powered 15 led lamps from one power strip at fly tying nights I attend. Here is what I use. It's on sale for 5 bucks.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selections-13-25-in-Adjustable-Stainless-Steel-LED-Clip-On-Clip-Desk-Lamp-with-Metal-Shade/1000003084

I modified mine by getting rid of the clip and adding an extension tube that slips over a rod I added to my vise base.

attachicon.gif base2.jpg

That's a heck of a suggestion Poopdeck.

Kimo

I like it. The stem is a little short out of the box but it would be a piece of cake to extend it with some basic lamp tubing and put back on the clamp.

Any normal table or desk lamp is going to be too short out of the box, excepting something like an architect's lamp, but here are some things to look at; https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=led+battery+powered+desk++lamps&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_udhi=15&_osacat=0&_odkw=led+battery+powered+table++lamps

Straight from China they get down in the $3 range, but shipping takes a few days or weeks. The power strip per poopdeck makes sense unless you have a good source of batteries. I've used those cap lights that Mike posted and they get dim pretty quickly. Some sooner than others, I think they were 50 cents the day I got them; so I had no complaints.

these lamps are straight out of the box and work great for fly tying. however they are corded not battery, adjustable to be even higher when needed

dwl3w4V.jpg

a lot of tyers at tying shows use this ott light but it should be provided by each individual tyer not the instructor

5136QPlji7L._SR500,500_.jpg

even this style of desk lamp is acceptable and adjustable in height

61VBr4WSS5L._SX466_.jpg

Go to the grilling section of any big box store. There are a plethora of battery-powered LED grill lamps that also work well for fly tying.

... it should be provided by each individual tyer not the instructor

This is the real answer to the problem.

I've had the opportunity to attend tying events at several locations across the Country. None of them have ever provided "extra" lighting for any of the tiers. If someone attending one of the sessions is having a problem with lighting, show them the options available that THEY can buy and bring with them to the next session.