Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

The Golden Missile

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:45 PM

I like catching grass carp! I have heard they are some of the hardest fish to catch, but that has not been my experience. What type of pond do you fish?

#17 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,626 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:09 PM

So, what do you catch them on, Henry?  Help the rest of us make it "less hard", too.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#18 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:32 PM

Well, the techniques used arent exactly exactly kosher (so to speak), but they do make it easier. The reason I asked Xterra is because it works best on community pond type situations.

I devised this technique fishing a neighborhood pond where locals would walk to the pond and throw bread in for the carp. I would walk to the pond, and scatter bread pieces onto the water, and wait for the carp to arrive. When the carp would come, giant mouths would come up and suck the pieces of bread underwater. I would cast my fly out into my spread of bread pieces, trying to predict where the carp would rise next. The fly was a simple brown spun deer hair fly sloppily clipped (this part came naturally to me) in the shape of a piece of bread.

#19 xterrabill

xterrabill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:01 PM

yes community pond, but never fed, they are skiddish as all heck, will spook at the slightest hint of anything hitting the water or
shadow/movement, they only seem interested in weeds and mud.
I have seen guys try for them with very elaborate gear specifically for carp, never seen one caught there yet in ten years.
I need a 3/0 treble and a hand grenade!
kosher...HA!

I am no longer a screw up, I am an experienced screw up.

#20 MouseManiac

MouseManiac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:45 AM

for about 3 seconds I had a 3 ft + grass carp on today (unintentionally and most likely foul hooked)
I will catch that thing one of these days, it looked like a nuclear submarine!!!
it pulled like one too!!!
YIKES!!!!

Been there.  Caught a 42" last summer.  Took 45 minutes and a friend in the water with a net to land it.