Fly Tying
dawgvet

Help identify cool old Thompson vise?

So I have recently become interested in old Thompson fly vises partly due to the history and nostalgia and partly because I needed a simple vise to teach others to tie. I read all that I could find about the different models and types of Thompsons with keen interest. After this I settled my search on a Model A due to the popularity and reputation for durability.

I started scanning the evil auction site and recently landed the vise you see here. It looks a lot like a Model A but with a very sturdy pedestal base which I preferred due to my wife's notion that dents in our tables somehow detract from their appearance.

4FC86E1D-4F68-4C42-80F0-D11E5CCF2C98_zps

Can anyone tell me:

- what model this is?

- when it was likely made?

- where I might get any replacement parts of I ever need them?

- general tips for use, maintenance, and general care?

Most likely a after market pedestal base.

The pivot pin in the lever was a weak link and commonly broke,,, appears to be a replacement pin.

Replacement parts = purchases a rough vise and use it for parts.

Light grease on cam surface and washer will help minimize wear, clean the contact surface of jaws and tube body, apply light lub/grease.

Regards,

FK

Can't answer your questions but I have one very similar to it. On mine the shank attaches to the base a little differently. I bought it used and it came with two sets of jaws-regular and midge.

Thank you for the replies.

FK, I was concerned about the pedestal when contemplating bidding on it. Once it arrived I saw where the stem is actually threaded into the base and the thicker collar on the lower part of the stem serves to lock it in place. Based on this I was thinking the base was original. About the pivot pin, I had read on some older posts here in the forum that a pin just like this was supplied with either the midge or magnum jaws when bought separately. There appears to be little wear on the jaws themselves. Mostly just dusty and some light surface rust on the bluing.

Any other feedback appreciated.

Thanks Again

I have one that is very similar - mine came originally as a C-clamp so my stand rod is a little longer. The cam lever should

have recessed lettering "D H Thompson" if is a real Thompson model A. The hammered finish on the pedestal looks right

but the conversion base I have is more of a gold & black color. This looks like one of the later Thompsons (era mid 1990s).

As FK mentioned, you can buy up old Thompson vises for parts or, contact the new owners of D H Thompson in Elgin IL -

they can probably help with parts www.dhthompson.com and go to their contact link.

In the good old days, you could find replacement parts at most fly shops - I remember retrofitting Thompson jaws to some

of the knockoff India made vises to improve the performance of these inexpensive vises.

I have the same one. Its the D.H. Thompson Pro Vise. Mine was bought new in 1986 from L.L.Bean. It came with a C clamp. Thompson also had a Pro Vise 2 series. It offered the ped base and a non-glare black finish. Thompson at the same time had the A Vise, Supper AA Vise, Patriot Vise, the 360 clamp or base. I still use mine today. But I have a much newer model that I like better. They might be old, but they don't wear out if you clamp the hook right. Its when you pry to hard down on the lever and it breaks or you chip the jaws. Here are the instructions that came with mine.

post-60039-0-01009400-1491073059_thumb.jpg

post-60039-0-97535700-1491073199_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the info guys!

Bass master,

The instruction sheets were very helpful and based on the info you n them, mine is a Pro 2 and the base is just like the one in the 360 diagram.

Thanks Again!

I have this exact vise. I've had it since the mid '80's also. Purchased from L.L.Beans. Have tied thousands of flies on it. Keep it greased and you will have many years of use with it.

Michael

Good grab! wub.png

I have both a Thompson "A" and a "B", both being clamp models. I've also tied a lot of flies on the "A", as it was the very first vise I bought many years ago. The "B" was purchased later, mostly for nostalgia & I got it cheap! rolleyes.gif

I've got an old Herters, and a Universal Vise too, plus a Regal & a Regal knock-off and a Griffin. Can't have too many vises! smile.png

We have a couple of those and as I remember we added the base as an add-on years after originally purchasing them. I think we got the bases from Griffin Enterprises in Kalispell, MT. Regarding old Thompson vises: We also have one Gretchen's father bought back in the early 60s. It's an old Thompson B with the red twist handle for tightening the jaws. Take care & ...

The Regal that I have was originally a clamp model, and was converted to pedestal using a Griffin base. Not aesthetically the best looking setup, but works quite well. At the time, the Griffin base was considerably less costly than a Regal base, so I went with the Griffin.