Fly Tying

This fly uses a foam wing case to make a fly that is unmistakingly a midge emerging pattern. The foam is less subtle than the krystal flash emerger, and when you know the trout are feeding on emerging midges then this is the go to fly for me.

The Daiichi 1140 has a turned up eye, so there is nothing getting in the way of a hook set. This is important when fishing these small flies. I have lost lots of fish due to the hook ripping out, and this hook will give you a bit more gripping power.

Hook: Daiichi 1140 - Size 20
Thread: Veevus 16/0 - Black
Wire: Ultra Wire - X-small, silver
Wing Case: Ultra thin fly foam - white

I've never fished midges in the surface film, the highest I get is about 6" below the surface, then move to a Griffiths Gnat for top water. Not yet anyway.

Dry fly fishing is tough where I am, and while I don't always fish these right on the surface film, they seem to work pretty well. Better than dry fly fishing at my river. Its rare to find them fully hitting the top. Occasionally they will come up and sip, but rarely on any dry fly bite. :-(

Dry fly fishing is tough where I am, and while I don't always fish these right on the surface film, they seem to work pretty well. Better than dry fly fishing at my river. Its rare to find them fully hitting the top. Occasionally they will come up and sip, but rarely on any dry fly bite. :-(

Ya well that's kind of a midge thing on most waters. I use the Griffiths Gnat when the midges cluster and fish seem to be on the clusters, which isn't so often here either.

Yeah Dave, I hear ya. It's rare here as well. Well they will cluster often, but the trout rarely come up for them. There are so many midges throughout the year, that they just don't need to come up, there always full! Haha. Actually I'm not sure the science on it, just know that it's not easy to dry fly for these trout. They will come up for hoppers though in the summer...

Terrestrials, I'm hoping to hit the cinnamon ants on one local lake out in the boat this late spring early summer. I tied them up a couple of years ago but between weddings, surgeries, hernia issues, you add the adjective, I missed two full warm weather seasons, not just the ants. Not to mention the extreme Hex hatches on that body of water. Which reminds me, I need to tie hex nymphs/emergers. I really hope not to miss this year as well. We shall see.

I've never fished midges in the surface film, the highest I get is about 6" below the surface, then move to a Griffiths Gnat for top water. Not yet anyway.

These don't float. They sink like most unweighted nymphs. They also work during bwo hatches for some reason.

Black thread body, copper rib, a wee bit of foam. Very quick and easy tie.

These don't float. They sink like most unweighted nymphs. They also work during bwo hatches for some reason.

Black thread body, copper rib, a wee bit of foam. Very quick and easy tie.

Oh is that what he was saying? Yeah, no they don't float. They are fished just like a krystal flash emerger, or a zebra midge.