Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tightlines

Emerger Patters

Just curious what style of tying people like for emergers. The one I have been working with is adding some deer hair to the head of the fly making it look like the fly is stuck in the shuck. I see some cdc oil puff style emergers and cdc bubble kind of emergers and they look very interesting.

Thanks

I have done a small amount of emerger patterns myself tightlines but i really havent experemented to much with them just yet but the ones i have tied and fished with i have used the oil puff's on and had pretty good results with them.

I've seen the "bubble" style that you mentioned and they look very interesting also.

Shoe and i believe dornug have been getting into the emerger flies alot lately and i'm sure they will be able to give you some more detailed info than i can at this point.

Also check out the featured title that will just got in under the greencaddis forum its a new emerger book that might be of some help to you.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2916

SD

I enjoy tying soft hackle wet flies. A small sparse body with hungarian partridge in the front. Fairly simple to tie and very effective. You can also use pheasant feathers or henback as well as duck. HP can be pricy.

Good Luck,

Chip

I have tied a few using fur for the emerging wing. Mink underfur has a nice look. Another pattern calls for the dense fur on the feet of snowshoe hares. I just picked up a few different colors for those.

Using the Magic Tool with the CDC does a nice job for emerging caddis. Basically it's trapped in a dubbing loop and stroked upward after each wrap.

La Fontaine uses Antron for his Caddis emergers. It seems to trap air for that "certain look"

Z-lon makes a nice trailing shuck

I just received the "Tying Emergers" Book. A must have!!!!