Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

HUGE Hexagenia Limbata

Sunday morning, when I went for the newspapers I noticed two different adults had just broken from their shucks on the glass front door of the store. One, the female imago, was over four inches in length, including the front legs. Incredible coloring! Beautiful, smoky gray-brown wings, just over one inch long; an inch long segmented mottled tan-brown body, gracefully tapering to two unbelievably marked tail sections almost three inches long by themselves. The other, all of 3 ½” total length, looked more like a Yellow Mayfly. I cannot ever recall seeing a spinner quite as large as the female I first mentioned in all my time in the NH woods- and this one, on the door of the local convenience store!

The Hex is one of the neatest Mayflies of all.

I forgot to ad - That hook is one of Ron Reinhold's low water dee hooks. 3++ inches long

post-31-1094213138.jpg

Wow Jim that is a beautiful Hex!!!! Does that fly float or is it just a display piece?

Seriously that is very nice headbang.gif

Hey Smallie

Sorry... It is a creative display piece that I tied several years ago. I believe in 2000 or 01.

The fly is over 6 inches long and 3 inches tall. I can just imagine what the leader & tippet would look like after one cast... blink.gif

That year I probably tied 20 "impressionistic" patterns - Paul S. was looking for some crazy style of flies to start his new journal. I think they ended up being too far out there for him as the only ones he used were the Ranger series of patterns. dunno.gif

DFix - Didn't mean to hi-jack yer thread. I really like the Hex. An inspirational bug if there ever was one.

No hijack necessary- I had nowhere to go with it 'cuz I don't have digital camera availability! Way Cool Ties- Beautiful!