Fly Tying
utyer

November 2011: Flies from the Vise

Ok, here is some I did yesterday. These nine flies are all size 18, and 20 and the same hackle feather was used for all of them.

post-12074-0-35722700-1321049023_thumb.jpg

I've been getting some big flies ready for winter steel. Here's a zonker pattern I recently finished.

post-36046-0-74787800-1321260430_thumb.jpg

I put this up to a vote and by a unanimous decision the members have decided it was better to have a monthly "Flies from the Vise" topic.

So, here it is. Post a photo of a fly you have tied recently, feel free to add any info about the fly you want(why your tying it, material list, etc). Also, comments and questions to the tiers that post flies are encouraged as well.

As a way to kick this thing off I'm going to give away 3 fly boxes to 3 randomly chosen members that post a fly to this topic.

This new monthly format is only going to work with a decent amount of participation so jump in and have fun.

Well ok I guess I'll be the first to jump in. This fly I got from Peter Frailey's website. I'm a big fan of using natural materials so I tied up a few these to try out probably next season. I'm gonna send some to my son-in-law to try out too. It's called the Ausable Ugly Bugger. I use woodchuck and muskrat and a blended natural dubbing for the body.

Mike

post-14555-0-99879200-1321281877_thumb.jpg

Noted the use of muskrat in Mike's Ausable Ugly Bugger above, so thought I'd put up somthing similar that's been very successful for me here in South Africa, stillwater in the bigger sizes (#8 / #6) and river/stream in the smaller sizes (#10 / #12): my rendition of Polly Rosborough's "Casual Dress" that I tie either with a bead or not.

Only 2 main ingredients: muskrat for tail, body and collar, and ostrich herl for the head. Bead and any other weighting optional.

post-30886-0-57311400-1321357900_thumb.jpg

post-30886-0-14541800-1321357915_thumb.jpg

I like that, nice variation, and simple. You just can't beat natural materials in my book.

Mike

Here a couple of things from yesterday, Rainbow warriers, and disco midges.

post-12074-0-39661600-1321375629_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-12759200-1321375669_thumb.jpg

Classic muddler from today. I finally got the secondary wing feathers to make a truly classic Don Gapen muddler.

Hook-Sabre-6 3xl

tail-matched turkey secondary wing feathers

body-gold mylar

rib-silver wire

wing-gray squierrl tail I got from behind the house

overwing-matched pair of turkey secondary wing feather

Collar'pectoral fins' Deer hair placed around the hook in a distribution method.

head-spun natural whitetail from a deer i took in 08

Notes-i've recently tyed around 3 dozen muddlers,though I've never fished them much. I plan to start very soon as this is an all round fly. It can be a sculpin,bullhead,hopper,stonefly, small mouse the possibilities are endless and i'm starting to realize it!

shane stover

p.s. i'm offering 30% off all winter fly fishing packages and a very special father and son package that you cannnot beat!post-15795-0-94784500-1321376540_thumb.jpg

Around Ottawa, Canada, we have to rely on our Smallmouth Bass and Walleye populations to get us through the year (we don't have many trout here). Come fall, big full slow moving Clouser minnows and Crays do the trick in the tailouts.

normal_IMG_1563.jpg

There is a whole tying season left, adn tehre should be plenty coming off of my vise over the next few months.

Fly Willy

Around Ottawa, Canada, we have to rely on our Smallmouth Bass and Walleye populations to get us through the year (we don't have many trout here). Come fall, big full slow moving Clouser minnows and Crays do the trick in the tailouts.

normal_IMG_1563.jpg

There is a whole tying season left, adn tehre should be plenty coming off of my vise over the next few months.

Fly Willy

i hope you like it.

140320110291resized.jpg

materials :

-lead wire

-foam strip ( from a game :) )

i like to keep the fly very simple and always for low budget.

regards.

DCMIDGE-1-.jpg

DEPTH CHARGE MIDGE…Side View…

HOOK: Daiichi 1250, or TMC 206 BL, #18-#20, TMC 200R, #18-#22

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, White

RIB: Lagartun, x-Fine, Copper

WINGLETS: Mirage Opal Tinsel, SM

THORAX: Ice Dub, UV Brown

BEAD # 1.: Black Tungsten, sized to hook

BEAD # 2.: Killer Caddis, Diamond, 15/0

This pattern may also be tied in Brown, Gray, Olive, Black or Red using Gordon Griffith 14/0 thread or other Tiemco colors…the bead,and rib colors may also be changed for what works in a particular area. For #20 and #22, the thorax dubbing may be omitted…

DCMIDGE-2-.jpg

DEPTH CHARGE MIDGE…tilted view…

PT/TB ;)