Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

rod holder

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,980 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

looks like an accident just waiting to happen

Ignorance can be educated....

Crazy can be medicated....

But there's no cure for stupid

#17 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:20 AM

I can't see putting a fly rod in that.  

Too much sag.  Too much heat, if the sun shines on it for half a day.  Pain in the butt to slide the rods in and out, unless you're willing to break them down ... but then you don't need the hanger.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#18 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:29 AM

looks like an accident just waiting to happen

X12 rods

sun, wind, fall over at speed, and oh my trees/overpasses/gas station canopies

I have several PVC tubes for storing rods that can be thrown in the truck or trunk and having broken several rods hauling them bare naked in and out of "holders" my rods travel in a tube. Exception being a short hop with rod&reel made up and on the dash board.

Any holder is either going to pinch the rod to point of near damage or it is going to allow the rod  to move slightly which will rub the finish off. Rods suspended horizontally by a pair of holders tend to sag and over time (surprisingly short time if sun or heat are available) will take a set. 

Only place I consider a rod safe is in the hand or in the hard tube.

#19 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:22 PM

I keep a rod or two in a gun rack in my truck, I have a mesh window guard and dark tinted widows in the extra cab so they're pretty hard to see.