Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Moshup

Any reviews of the Int'l Fly Tying Symposium ?

Was not able to make it this year due to distance. Was wondering if any board members made it and what their impressions were .

I went and was well pleased. Robert Smith's talk on Yorkshire spiders was more than worth the price of the trip, although I'm sure Charlie Craven appealed to a wider audience. I wish had gone both days.

The biggest disappoint was that Charlie Collins wasn't there (at least on Saturday) even though he was scheduled to be and had a booth set up. I was looking forward to buying some hen sets. Otherwise, there was a good assortment of vendors, with seeming more of them with soft hackle materials than in the past. (For example, I was surprised at the number of vendors offering English red grouse skins.) And to follow on to different thread about the price of partridge, there were some $20 skins available (not that I needed any at the moment.)

The non-featured tyers represented a good cross section of the craft.

I spent some money on books and feathers, and could have spent a lot more.

Even though it's a lot closer than Somerset, I'm not particularly fond of the location, being downtown with scarce parking. (My only other real gripe about the show.)

This was the first year I have been able to attend. The move to Lancaster along with the Two Veterans from my Local PHW making it to the finals of the PHW Tying Compition it was worth the cost. There where plenty of great tiers at the show. They where all a pleasure to talk to and willing to share tips and strategies. I learned a few new patterns to give a try. There where a handful of vendors with a variety of items for sale. I am hoping to be able to make it back to this show in the years to come.

As there where plenty of great people at this event, being able to meet and chat with Tim from Trout and Feather was a pleasure. The highlight of the event for me was at the banquet when they announced the winners of the PHW Tying Compition. As they started with the runner up in fifth place my anticipation grew as I pondered where the Vets from my Local Chapter would place. I was hoping they would place first and second but the thought was a long shot. I was pleasantly surprised after the named the third place finisher leaving the Vets from the Indy Chapter to take 1st and 2nd. Congratulations to Joe Jackson who took 2nd and Son Tao who took 1st, both of whom, have been tying for less than 2 years and have come a long way.

Thanks for the reviews. Last time I spoke with Charlie Collins he told me he was going. Too bad he's a vendor

I would surely stop in to see. Glad u guys enjoyed the show.