Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
utyer

Skinny water baits:

Sometimes you want a bait fish pattern that sinks like a stone, sometimes you don't. These are tied to float just at the surface. The foam is trimmed so that it just holds the bait at the surface. Almost none of the bait is above the surface, but it will just hang there. During a retrieve, they will dive, and then float slowly back to the surface. If they are just twitched, they will stay at the surface.

One is tied on a brass hook, but I will be re-tying some on SS hooks later. Overall length is between 4 and 5" on these.

The first pattern is supposed to mimic the popular MirrOlure. No "real" fly tying materials were used in this one other than the hook. The body is macrame yarn and Christmas Tree tinsel. The foam, eyes and even the thread are all from the craft store.

The other two use Congo hair for the bodies.

post-12074-0-48689100-1398456032_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-84421900-1398456037_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-60447300-1398456043_thumb.jpg

I use a lot of materials from hobby lobby, great stuff. I like those flies, topwater and subsurface are great fun. Red and white always does well and with the color of our water at the moment those two darner ones would be deadly.

Let us know how you do…dave

Guest rich mc

I have tied some Shannon streamers using a thin wire hook, some foam on the shank and waterproofed the top half of the fly . I havnt found the fish to like it as well as one that slow sinks or is worked fast on the surface . rich mc

I buy all my foam at the craft stores. That's a nice concept. I'll have to did out my MirrOlures from my salt water tackle box and see what color combinations I can come up with and give them a try.

Very cool idea. Would you mind posting a pic of the trimmed foam before you tie it in so we can see the shape you cut it to?

The Mirrolure 7m is by far my all time favorite plug and the one I use the most. It's why I have always like flies like sliders and dahlberg divers that have that same dipping down and floating back up action

Nice evolution of a design, Utyer. I think you've taken the crease fly to a whole new level.

A few years ago I fished creeks with U.L. spinning and I had a few L&S Mirrolures that were very small and had a thin profile like most of the local bait fish. There was only one that I could ever get to swim correctly and the jointed body would really wiggle. It was a fish catching machine and I never threw it anyplace that I thought it would get hung up. When it did get hung up I would wade in and get it regardless if there was SM in there or not. It had a black back, then graduated into a gray and a silver bottom. The Local SM loved it. My next best SM bait was a 1/16oz or 1/32 oz beatle spin black with a yellow side stripe. I use the same colors today in my flies. They still seem to work well. The Utyer bait might do well in those colors too.

Ok, here are two templates that I use for these. Final trimming is done after the fly is glued up. I trip the top ONLY if I have to. and only a very little. The V shaped tail end can be trimmed a bit from the bottom. I have included my latest one, which is still not finished.

The first picture shows just half the template, the second picture shows the width of the fender, and the third shows the full template after it is cut out. I fold the foam over and then make one cut for the top, I then slit the tail down the center so it fits the hook shank. These are for a size 1/0 EC hook. Colors and exact shapes could vary from these.

I think the second template is closer to my finished piece. The foam is only tied in at the very front, the then folded up on both sides. before gluing the foam sides together, I adjust the way the Congo hair lays between the foam. I also use about 25 turns of .020 lead wrapped up the hook shank first.

post-12074-0-98698600-1398534286_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-99035200-1398534291_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-46206200-1398534295_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-56469700-1398534301_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-50708900-1398534309_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-12277000-1398534324_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-76253300-1398534331_thumb.jpg

awesome stuff, thanks a lot. I will give these a go and see if I can get them to swim right.

For anyone wanting the best Mirrolure colors - you'd be hard pressed to beat red/white, blue/silver, and green/silver (the green and blue models are colored on top with silver/white sides..).... I order a bunch of them each year directly from Mirrolure for my plug tossing anglers. If I have a fly angler aboard, of course, the fish get to see the fly before the Mirrolure....

I've long used one artificial bait or other as an inspiration for a fly pattern and those darned Mirrolures are right at the top of the list. In the past two years the model 17 has been a top producer for me in the backcountry. If you're in any shop that stocks them, get a look at one for the size and proportions... they're almost the perfect size to imitate small pilchards or herring (called greenies locally).

My favorite Mirrolure colors are the greenback (18), barred chartreuse (CF), white with the redhead (11), but my absolute favorite is just the old fashioned silver. I have caught more fish in all types and colors of water on the 7ms than any other plug. Sadly, the 7m in CF has gotten really hard for me to find.

I tied this one up specifically to copy the color scheme of the CF, which works extremely well in the tannicy waters I often fish

post-18514-0-35052200-1398605893_thumb.jpg

Greeback and all silver mirrodines are like raised glazed doughnuts…you can never have too many. I love the all diver in XL, a real killer later in the summer as the baitfish get bigger.

i dig the craft fur chartreuse minnow, I'll have to do some up…our water in the bay system looks like ice tea at the moment.