Fly Tying
xrayts

Gulf Shores

I'm headed down to Gulf Shores next week for vacation and intend to do some fly fishing. I've bait-fished , but never fly fished saltwater. I read through the similar topics in the archive, and found those helpful but also want to ask if anyone else has any advice? What weight line would be ideal for surf vs the bay. Thank, Tim

For the surf an intermediate 8wt or sinking tip, the bay 6-8wt floating

A few years ago I was down there and only had a 5wt rod that I used for trout fishing. I caught lady fish, small pompao's and a couple of other types of fish. I was catching fish right there in the surf on clousers.

Along with the obvious daytime stuff you might want to keep an eye out for night fishing spots/situations for fly fishing. Specifically any docklights you can reach (look for lights that throw a green circle on the water where the water is at least three or four feet deep with a noticeable current for best fishing) or small low bridges with street lights. Under bridges the shadows hold the fish(usually on the up-tide side) but in docklights you should see and target your fish right in the light itself (or in the shadows right next to the light...). If you do much docklight fishing on foot you'll learn to walk like a burglar since the fish can feel every step on a dock they're next to. For small bridges my best tactic is to scout the bridge before fishing it. Walk each side slowly from the top while frequently peering over the side to be able to see exactly what's in those shadows. Once you've located your target(s) then you can figure out how to feed them. Remember that fish around docklights or bridges at night are there to feed - but they expect the "food" to come from a specifice direction....

If you have access to a skiff or kayak thngs change. Shadows under bridges can be fished very closely -it's the exact opposite with docklights where a long cast gets bit...

I've run into problems with floating lures/bait when night fishing under lights. Minute the lure hits the surface the needlefish pounce on it. If you can keep the lure down, you'll get lots of specks. I even caught a small lemon shark that way once.