Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Everglades days, Biscayne Bay nights - last week of August

Here's a copy of this week's fishing report. Not a lot of fly fishing (skip to the night portion for fly only...). As usual at night we're mostly using 8 or 9wt rods, floating lines, with a single fly pattern (the Night Fly), pics enclosed. For the tarpon we're using a 20lb leader with a 40lb fluoro bite tippet. In docklights we usually do without the bite tippet (and risk losing a big snook - but you get more bites so it works out...). As the report mentions it's maintenance time (and not just for my skiff - everything else is getting a workover -rods, reels, etc.). As one old-timer said to me years and years ago..."Aren't boats fun?" I try to remember that while upside down and backwards working on pumps down in the bilge area....

I've been busy this past week doing lots of re-fitting on my skiff (starting with the two bilge pumps, a float switch and a baitwell pump...) as well as a few other maintenance items that still need doing.... Snook season is now open so every guide's telephone will start working again (and so it goes....).

We still were able to get out on the water for a few days and one night... Flamingo is starting to show more bait each day but the birds still aren't showing along shorelines the way they will as the month progresses... Here's a few pics from the Gulf coast....

AdelmanRandyBobbybigsnook_zps420277b5.jp

This visiting angler was all smiles with this over-slot snook. He was fishing with local angler Randy Abelman..

PhillipsScottdadTonytripletailshallow_zp

Scott Phillips was home from college fishing with his Dad, local angler Tony Phillips when this tripletail tagged a small jig in less than three feet of water south of Lostman's river. Like that snook, it was carefully released to fight another day...

At night locally the snook and small tarpon are hungry wherever you find them. We managed to jump tarpon on both fly and spinning gear at more than one spot the one night we went after them. We also released three small snook up to almost slot size that were hanging around docklights on the same flies and lures. Here's a nice tarpon on fly (about 25lbs) for local angler Neil Franklin....

FranklinNeilnighttarpAugust_zps41d9e1e1.

All of the fish we're finding at night have been right at the surface so we're sightfishing every one.... We did see some much larger snook in a few docklights but they weren't having our lures. I'm guessing that more than one angler will score on them at night with the right live bait....

"Be a hero... take a kid fishing!"

post-30940-0-26864200-1409675468_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-34786600-1409675469_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-06665200-1409675470_thumb.jpg