Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Fly boxes

Today, because my flies were starting to pile up and to help support this site, I ordered three fly boxes from Green Caddis.

I have two of them already and I like them very much.

You ordered three today ... and GOT two of them today ???

That's quick service !!! tongue.png

Go fishing Mike, and show me some more of those big black sun fish.

laugh.png Can't! I'm in a hotel in Richmond, VA for this three weeks.

Wife says it's calm and warm down there ... I definitely wish I was there, going fishing tomorrow.

So, WHICH boxes did you get? Can't look them up without a name or a picture.

Mike, I bet your wife likes your job. My wife and I got along great when my job had me on the road. She seemed glad to see me!

laugh.png The old adage, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." is based on truth. We enjoy each other's time anyway, but it's always good to get home from a trip.

Fortunately, we're both good on our own, so there's no, "You're never here!" crap. And no kids, so no worries there, either.

I've been doing this for two decades ... and it's still fun.

laugh.png Can't! I'm in a hotel in Richmond, VA for this three weeks.

Wife says it's calm and warm down there ... I definitely wish I was there, going fishing tomorrow.

So, WHICH boxes did you get? Can't look them up without a name or a picture.

I got a minimalist, slit foam. silicone, two side box. It's the tiny one with a lanyard for around your neck. And I got two of the biggest ones they make, two sided, silicone, slit foam, see through. All on sale now, half price.

People have complained, on other threads, about those sealed fly boxes. You can't put a fly in there wet, since it can't dry out.

Do you notice that problem with the ones you already have, or do you never put a fly in the box wet?

Not to hijack Mark's thread, I have a Bugger Barn that I have placed a silicone slit strip on. Put wet flies on there to dry.

post-63446-0-18117700-1578826202_thumb.jpg

People put wet flies back in their sealed or unsealed fly box and complain about wet flies. That's funny.

You can't put a fly in there wet, since it can't dry out.

People put wet flies back in their sealed or unsealed fly box and complain about wet flies. That's funny.

That's not what I said. As usual, people "read" what they want to see, instead of the actual written word.

The complaint is that you CAN put a wet fly in an unsealed box, since evaporation can occur. With a sealed box, you have to have somewhere to put a fly to let it dry out.

People have complained, on other threads, about those sealed fly boxes. You can't put a fly in there wet, since it can't dry out.

Do you notice that problem with the ones you already have, or do you never put a fly in the box wet?

I try not to put flies in there wet, I have drying patches in a few places where they dry. Then I try to open the boxes each night, when I can, if I think things need drying. So, it hasn't been a problem for me.

You can't put a fly in there wet, since it can't dry out.

That's not what I said. As usual, people "read" what they want to see, instead of the actual written word.

The complaint is that you CAN put a wet fly in an unsealed box, since evaporation can occur. With a sealed box, you have to have somewhere to put a fly to let it dry out.

The problem you can have with a box that is not sealed is ( in an environment like mine), all of your flies can get wet and stay wet. I would rather worry about getting one or two used flies dry than trying to keep all of my flies dry in an unsealed box. To each his own, I have lots of boxes, both sealed and unsealed, and I prefer the sealed ones.