Fly Tying
-=TroutMaster=-

Easy Fly to tie

There is a step by step coloumn on this site it has some complex and some easy patterns.

The easiest and the first pattern I ever learned was the wooley bugger.Look under " step by step"and look through it you may find some other easy patterns as well.

Fred

TroutMaster:

Here are some easy ones with step by steps. You might try some of these depending on what materials you have:

Some easy wets:

Olive Woolly Bugger

Bead Head Woolly Bugger

Orange Soft Hackle (use any color dubbing and hen partridge or grouse for hackle)

http://copperfly.net/wetflies.php

Some easy nymphs:

Pheasant tail Nymph

Gold Ribbed Hares Ear

Brassie

Zebra Midge

Goldhead bug

http://copperfly.net/nymphs.php

Some easy dries without dry fly hackle:

Peacock Caddis (peacock is great, or you can use any color body dub)

X Caddis

Easy Foam spider (for panfish)

With Dry Fly hackle:

Elk Hair Caddis

Griffith Gnat

Cahill Light and Adams Antron- you can vary body and hackle colors and even leave out wings if you want.

http://copperfly.net/dryflies.php

You might also want to check out your library to see if you could get a good intro book:

Fly Tying made Clear and Simple by Skip Morris

Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying by Tim Leeson

They both have good instructions, discuss materials and have a sequence of flies that will teach you a lot of different techniques as well as good patterns.

I would also develop a relationship with your local flyshop, and see if they offer tying classes, or can point you to a club that does. Start out slow with materials, and just buy stuff for one pattern (maybe in a few different colors/sizes) at a time. Your fly shop can also suggest substitutes for materials in patterns based upon stuff you already have.

Good luck!

peregrines

peregrines

From my experience, which is limited, there certainly are some flies that are easier to tie than others... That being said make sure that you begin tying flies that you will FISH! Depending on where you fish and what you are after there are too many different types of easy ties. The first fly I tied was a black wooly bugger, it has been suggested in the above posts, for me personally I rarely fish a bugger, so the 20 or so I tied up will probably last me forever because even though they catch fish I usually choose a different fly. Find a simple looking pattern that YOU fish and would like to tie, look it up here on the database or google it and then you decide if you think you want to tackle those steps. Then I suggest that because it is a fly that you fish you should buy the materials to tie that specific fly and then tie up enough that you feel comfortable in the steps and techniques which will inevidably spill over into a large number of other flies. The best thing I ever did as a beginning tier was to sit down at my vice and tie up about 40 copper johns in sizes 12-18 in 4 different colors. Repetition and the techniques I used have spilled over into almost every nymph I've tied since then. Enjoy tying what you enjoy fishing.

OK that was probably $0.04

C

troutmaster- a woolly worm is slightly easier to tie than a woolly bugger (no marabou tail to deal with, just yarn or hackle fibers) and is an amazingly effective trout fly. It's a good fly for just about everything in fresh water in fact. My favorite is a #8 or #10 black with grizzly hackle, and a tuft of fl. red yarn as a tail. I can't even guess how many trout I've caught in streams and lakes with it over the years.

Charlie Craven's new book is out. It is called Basic fly tying by Charlie Craven. The book is awsome. The tutorials are great. For any new tyer to tying, It is well worth the investment.

Carlp5351

I have been trying wollie buggers alot i would like to tie another type of fly with these types of materials

Green Maribou

Brown Saddle Hackle

size 6 hooks

6/0 thread

pearl flash

copper wire

Green Chenielle

that is what i have any ideas or patterns would be great!

Trout Master

How about this?

Marabou Damsel Nymph

http://www.westfly.com/fly-pattern-recipe/...boudamsel.shtml

You may want to give some thought as to where you want to go next... You could get one of those books mentioned above, or find a copy on beginning tying in your local library.

In the mean time you could:

Add some more stuff for black woolly buggers:

black marabou

black chenille

brass beads or spool of non-toxic "lead" wire for weighting some so they get deep

Add some stuff for marabou streamers:

pack of strung peacock herl

white marabou

silver cactus chenille

You can make simple but effective streamers on your #6 hooks. Good for bass and trout.

Body of silver chenille

Wing: black or white marabou

Wing topping: couple strands of peacock herl

Weight some with lead wrap before you put the chenille on if you want.

Good luck!

peregrines

Harry Mason has a great site .. troutflies.com. It has some great tutorials on anything from a basic pattern top the more advanced tie.

MIke

The most basic pattern in my opinion is a non weighted San Juan Worm. Just tie a piece of chenille length wise along the hook shank and you are done.

try some clouser minnows!!! you can get a variety pack of bucktail for like 5 bux and then get some pearl crystal flash and some bead chain from the hardware store for light bulb chains for the eyes. tie um up and have fun! you can make any colored ones to represent any baitfish around you and they ride hook point up so u don't get as many snags. I been fly fishing like a year and a half or 2 years and so far they have caught me steelhead, smallmouth bass, Largemouth bass, Rock bass, a carp,gills and even some catfish!!! also river chubs. the fish just love um and they are simple to tie!!!!

TroutMaster

You might want to take a look at the beginning fly tying section by Al Campbell at flyanglersonline.com. He provides a nice introduction to tools as well as step by step illustrated instructions for basic patterns.

Ron

th easiest fly in the world to tie is a tadpole..... yo just find a dark olive or black feather..... any thin flexible feather of this colour.... marabou works well 2........ tie that in as a tail then just make your body to whatever size u want..... you can put little elastic legs on it if you want but it dont make that much difference :D i hope this helps.... dont worry im a begginer 2

TroutMaster

I agree wholeheartedly with Dezod- You should make sure you are tying the flies you want to fish with. That being said, I suggest you tye a few spiders. (Not the 8-legged arachnids, but flies like Partridge and Green, Snipe and Purple, Stewart's Spiders, etc.) Not only are they great fishing-catchers, but this style of fly is simple to tye and requires few materials: a hook (wet or dry), thread (or silk), and a small feather. Step-by-Step instructions for Stewart's Spider and the Waterhen Bloa can be found at:

http://molecularworkshop.com/tying/pl/p_tying.pl

Start with a relatively large hook (say #8 or 10), use tying thread for the body (whatever colour pleases you), and a feather which has fibers 1.5- to 2-times the hook gap. Although the best feathers for this purpose come from the leading edge of the wings (or sometimes the necks) of partridge, grouse, starling, moorhen, snipe, woodcock, etc., excellent spiders can be made using domestic hen neck feathers.

As you gain experience, you can reduce the hook size, substitute silk for the thread, and use more feathers from more exotic birds. I tyed my first spider 20 years ago- and it caught trout! I tye better spiders today- and they continue to catch trout. Hopefully, in 20 years .....