Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BigDaddyHub

Magnum Hair Stackers

Looking for a magnum hair stacker...any recommendations on makes, models, manufacturers...not looking top spend more than say $25 or $30.....

I've got the Griffin big one, the anodized blue model. Works good for large clumps of deer hair. I think I paid $20 for it a few years ago. It works as good as any I've used, for what that's worth.

recommendation from a trusted source.....that's the one I've been eyeballin', J. Thanks. Looking to getting into some big flies and need a larger stacker just to save a little time...and I just need a new toy...

I have got the same one as JSzymczyk.

It does the job, but I would like to try a few others like, Edgin, Renzetti or Dr. Slick.

I also recommend the largest Griffin model. I have at least a half dozen different hair stackers (copper, aluminum, brass) in a range of sizes. The large and medium size Griffin are my favorite. If I had to recommend only one, it would be the largest size. This size is easiest to work with for long bucktail patterns. If you are tying smaller stuff, or using shorter hair (calf tail), you may want the medium size stacker. I generally use the small size for very straight type hair (squirrel, kid goat).

The large size is also handy for when you want to blended bucktail hair. You can clip different colors of hair into the stacker and then swirl them around inside the stacker to mix the colors together. That is how I formed the wings on some of the "blonde" flies I posted last year.

I made my own out of wood, I drilled a hole down a piece of wood and carved the outside down, and drilled part way into another piece, put a flat bottom in it, and it works great. though I am going to coat it in polyurethane, to reduce friction with the hair.

I have two large hair stackers. One is a $22 Dyna-King; the other

is a cheap generic black one (don't know how I came by it). My

favorite of the two is the cheap black one.

Mike

A.K. Best Magnum hair stacker is my Favorite, I have and use the medium Griffon, no complaints

My favorite is ether the Umpqa large brass or the DR Slick Large Brass. Both these are a heavy hair stacker. They seem to work better than the lighter weight hair stackers.

carlp

Contact Chris Helm at Whitetail Fly Tieing Supplies, he has some very magnum sizes for sale.

Regards,

FK

Contact Chris Helm at Whitetail Fly Tieing Supplies, he has some very magnum sizes for sale.

Regards,

FK

Yep that's where I got my AK Best Magnum, great guy and a pleasure to do business with!

The AK Best Magnum stacker is now a collectors item.

It is aluminum, very large sized and much preferred to the brass equivalent.

Regards,

FK