Fly Tying

Finally I am back fishing! After a months recovery from melanoma surgery, I am very happy to be back on the water!

The animas is a free flowing river, and that means that the water flow fluctuates through the year depending on snow melt and the amount of rain. So during the end of winter, we tend to get a very low flowing river. The water doesn't flow much, and its hard to find deep holes. Luckily, through out the town of Durango, and even into the Ute (Native American) land, there are some deep spots that you can find fish holding. The fish are sluggish though during this time of year, so fishing a streamer is not the most recommended approach. Nymphing small baetis, caddis and midge patterns though works wonders though, and I was able to hook a few fish.
So I am a bit rusty, and still sore from my surgery and not fishing for a while. So I lost quite a few fish during this trip. I was able to hook 3, but lost 2 of them. So I only netted one fish. Thats ok though, as It was great just being back on the river. The fish I did bring in though wasnt huge, but a very beautiful brown with lots of spots. Just gorgeous fish on the Animas.

I didn't know you had gotten a procedure done. Good to hear it's done and successful.

yeah man, I had melanoma, they took a huge chunk outa my neck. A 4" x 2" incision. Took about a month to fully heal.

I didn't know you had gotten a procedure done. Good to hear it's done and successful.

yeah man, I had melanoma, they took a huge chunk outa my neck. A 4" x 2" incision. Took about a month to fully heal.

i didnt post this originally on here cause i talked about my shirts for sale... but here is some info about my surgery...http://youtu.be/zzo6NgM9BQI

Glad it all went well, that's a big melanoma. You want to try and catch those early if you can, when they can just nick them off without cutting too deep. Hope your follow ups show no new outbreaks .

Glad ya caught it early Shawn, you're too young to deal with those sort of issues but just shows they can happen to you at any age. I know now that I'm in my mid 40's I have started to be a lot more careful with protecting myself than I use too.

Glad ya caught it early Shawn, you're too young to deal with those sort of issues but just shows they can happen to you at any age. I know now that I'm in my mid 40's I have started to be a lot more careful with protecting myself than I use too.

Yeah man, Im 34... the doc said because I got it so young, my likelyhood of getting it again is high. Ill probably end up being cut up so much Ill look like frenkenstein when Im 60... haha.

I'm enjoying your videos, you have a catchy personality, this one was fun to watch, glad you got through this round in one piece, take care (and cover up)

I'm enjoying your videos, you have a catchy personality, this one was fun to watch, glad you got through this round in one piece, take care (and cover up)

Thanks man! Yah Im glad I got through it for sure! Ive got a 7month old, would like to see her grow ya know?

I missed the surgery part too but glad you're back in production again and enjoying stream time.