Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xvigauge

Sculpin Imitation

This is a sculpin tied by a local fly fisherman that he uses to catch book trout in the GSMNP. Does anyone tie a version of the sculpin? If so, what is your recipe? Notice that it uses a "mini sculpin helmet for the head. I tied one that looks pretty close and will give it a try soon.

Joe

post-61897-0-46663200-1512073489_thumb.jpg

It's kind of hard to see what the fly looks like when it's wet and partially obscured by the lovely little brookie it caught -- if you had (or could direct us to) a photo of one that was dry and well-displayed, it would be easier to answer your questions.

From the picture you posted, about all I can tell is that it looks like it has a zonker strip on the top, maybe, and some kind of "flowy" material (marabou? fur? long-fiber dubbing?) with a little flash mixed in on the body. About the only part that's positively identifiable is the sculpin helmet, which you already mentioned.

It looks like it works, whatever it's made of. :)

Have look at Feather Bender Barry. Orde. Clarke on you tube also cadis fly shop also on you tube hope this helps checkout also Oliver Edwards sculpin pattern again on you tube

Kind regards Steve sparkie

It's kind of hard to see what the fly looks like when it's wet and partially obscured by the lovely little brookie it caught -- if you had (or could direct us to) a photo of one that was dry and well-displayed, it would be easier to answer your questions.

From the picture you posted, about all I can tell is that it looks like it has a zonker strip on the top, maybe, and some kind of "flowy" material (marabou? fur? long-fiber dubbing?) with a little flash mixed in on the body. About the only part that's positively identifiable is the sculpin helmet, which you already mentioned.

It looks like it works, whatever it's made of. smile.png

You are exactly correct. It is tied with olive rabbit zonker, no marabou but some other type of olive fur, and I believe a few strands of green crystal flash; at least that's how I tied it. I believe there are many variations and I also believe they would all work. BTW, it is tied with the hook up to help it from getting hung up on the bottom.

Joe

Looks to be inspired by Barrs Meat Whistle but need hook size or style for better review

I tied mine on a #6 streamer hook. And yes it resembles the Barr's Meat Whistle a lot and may even be the same thing except for the mini sculpin head.

Joe

post-3361-0-41923000-1512933373_thumb.jpeg

Buy sculpin heads made by by Flymen. Use rabbit or squirrel strips. Use fur in a dubbing loop to make body.

This is a sculpin tied by a local fly fisherman that he uses to catch book trout in the GSMNP. Does anyone tie a version of the sculpin? If so, what is your recipe? Notice that it uses a "mini sculpin helmet for the head. I tied one that looks pretty close and will give it a try soon.Joe

Check out gp flyfisherman on Dec Flies from the Vise, very nice ties, great use of common, easily obtained materials, with plenty of room to innovate and do it "your way."