Fly Tying
pranger

5wt line on 6wt rod

Welcome pranger

Sure it's OK., if it works.

I use lines other than marked all the time, no two brands of line are the same and some are half weights bordering on next heavier anyway. Some rods get as much as two weights heavier or lighter depending on rod, line profile and fishing conditions.

The rod markings are more of a suggestion, it's what the maker thought would work best. One weight up or down really doesn't have a huge effect...30' of 5wt weighs ~140 grains- 30' of 6wt weighs ~160 grains. That's about 0.046 ounces different for the entire cast. I have lures that weigh that much.

I usually line heavier because that works better for me on short roll casts, but lining down could work better for longer aerial casts. I use lighter lines when using sinkers or spoons that would load the rod more than I like.

Trying several lines of different weights and profiles, as well as different brands might show you what the rod likes best in your hands.

It depends on how the rod casts a 6wt line now and what that line is. As mentioned some lines are 1/2 wt over, some even a full weight over the rating. Others are dead on, or like my old Orvis line is about a half under its rating in 6 wt. That line works beautifully on my 5 wt Batson Revelation rod I built.

So, assuming your rod is a true 6 wt rod and the line you want to use is a true 5 then you will false cast with more line in the air than with a true 6 wt line for the same loading. I used to like the lighter lines on rods once but have come to like heavier lines these days, quicker loading and faster shooting with less effort. Especially considering my neck injury, it's much easier on my neck to swing the rod less times and with less effort per time.

Many of the early graphites, made before the fast action craze set in ,will cast a range of lines if you adjust to them. The really fast action rods won't do this as well and often even need to be 'lined up'.

wunbe

Many of the early graphites, made before the fast action craze set in ,will cast a range of lines if you adjust to them. The really fadt action rods won't do this as well and often even need to be 'lined up'.

wunbe

Often wandered what the deal was with the ultra fast rods. A lot of folks can't cast them unless they are over lined. The lines developed for these rods are 1/2 to 1 full weight heavier.

Take your old moderate-fast to fast tapers and under line it by 1.

There's been some good articles about lines and rod matching.

The best info I've seen recommended the line and rod match if you will be casting 30 feet of line out. (similar to tjm's post above)

If you're going to be fishing small creeks and rivers where shorter casts are common, then go up one weight.

If you're going to be fishing open water, looking for longer than 30' casts, then go down one weight.

Responding directly to your question ... yes. As tjm also said, 5 weight line on a 6 weight rod will work fine, if you like it. If you find yourself making bad casts, though, it's NOT the line. If you're already a good caster, then the line weight will not cause any true difficulties.

Is it ok to 5wt line on 6wt rod. Line is Wavelength MPX wf f. Rod is gloomis.

Sci Anglers Wavelength MXP is a discontinued 1/2 heavy wt line so it is a 5.5 wt line. The 5 wt version weight version is 150 grains/30 ft exactly halfway between that AFTMA 5 wt 140 grains and the 6 wt 160 grains.

The taper and chart below is for the Amplitude MXP but I believe the taper and grain wts are the same as for the Wavelength which is a textured fly line, You will note that the 5 wt line is 10 grains heavier than the AFTMA 5 wt line table.

Also note that the taper is forward weighted so the bulk of the first 30 feet of mass is at the front of the line more like a wind cutter/bass taper design than a trout presentation line taper.

What Gloomis rod are you going to use it on?

sci_anglers_amplitude_mpx_taper.jpg

fly_line_weight_specs1_large.gif?v=14860

Hi -

A buddy gave me a 7' 6 wt Fenwick rod he built in the late 80's (I was surprised at the size/wt combo). I didn't see this post before I attached my only reel to it so I could fish it. The reel is loaded with 5 wt line. I attached a 7.5' leader and it was fun and worked like a perfect match. That said, you must know that I've only owned "one" 9' 5 wt rod for about the last 3-4 years now and only know what that was like before heading to the river with this setup. If it works for you, the fish won't care what you're using to get the fly to them! I mentioned to a friend in the forum that I'd like to try a true 7' 3 wt setup though. I need a program!

I almost always OVER line a rod. Most of the fast action rods will handle a heavier line, and the heavier line will load the rod deeper into the bend. That heavier line in practice slows the rod action down a bit, and for me at least, makes it easier to cast.

For small rivers and trout fishing, I NEVER use the line listed on the rod. Fishing a 9' rod with a 10'+ leader on and making a 40' cast, uses only 20' of line beyond the rod tip. That is not enough to fully load the rod unless you step up a size. All of today's rods will handle a line that is one size (or 2,) heavier than listed.

Underlining a rod with a weight forward line would never fully load the rod, and when using a double taper line one size lighter, you would need 40+ feet of line beyond the rod tip to fully load the rod. I have never found a situation where underlining a rod would be desired.

I almost always OVER line a rod. Most of the fast action rods will handle a heavier line, and the heavier line will load the rod deeper into the bend. That heavier line in practice slows the rod action down a bit, and for me at least, makes it easier to cast.

For small rivers and trout fishing, I NEVER use the line listed on the rod. Fishing a 9' rod with a 10'+ leader on and making a 40' cast, uses only 20' of line beyond the rod tip. That is not enough to fully load the rod unless you step up a size. All of today's rods will handle a line that is one size (or 2,) heavier than listed.

Underlining a rod with a weight forward line would never fully load the rod, and when using a double taper line one size lighter, you would need 40+ feet of line beyond the rod tip to fully load the rod. I have never found a situation where underlining a rod would be desired.

utyer, I suspect that old Fenwick from the 80's in that configuration Fred mentions may well be a glass rod. But at any rate I doubt it's a modern fast action rod. I'd have to cast the rod myself to tell but I suspect it might not do well over lined. Other than that I'm with you, I too find all my later rods do better half or even full weight over lined. I do have an old Cortland 3-4 wt that casts better in close at 4 wt and out further with a light landing for dry flies with a three wt ( carry more line and drop it in easy out further than with the 4 wt line).. That Corland doesn't have the back to cast the 4 wt line great distances and it's only 7 ft long anyway, so I keep the 4 wt peach 444 on it generally speaking and cast it inside of 30 ft or so. I use it in small streams so you can't cast much more than that anyway.

I fish '60s & '70s glass often and have since they were young, almost all that I have ever used could go up one weight and work well, exception being Eagle Claw Sweetheart (that I bought for herself long time ago)- it just goes limp with any kind of load, and works much better down lined. I just try different lines til one matches both the rod and my imperfect style of cast.

My early '60s era Fenwicks are marked as 7-8 & 7-8-9, both models also came marked as 6 and I can't tell much difference in them. I use my FF80 and FF85 with 6,7,8, 9 wt lines depending on conditions and type of line.And how I feel on that day, sometimes my casting improves with a line change.

My carbon rods all get uplined by a factor of 2; DT7 or TT7 on rods marked as 5 etc.

I can fish a carbon rod with one weight heavier, but they work better with my cast if I go up 2.

The 7' 6wt would be typical of glass. Could almost pick the line by the rod length.

It depends on how the rod casts a 6wt line now and what that line is. As mentioned some lines are 1/2 wt over, some even a full weight over the rating. Others are dead on, or like my old Orvis line is about a half under its rating in 6 wt. That line works beautifully on my 5 wt Batson Evolution rod I built.

So, assuming your rod is a true 6 wt rod and the line you want to use is a true 5 the you will false cast with more line in the air than with a true 6 wt line for the same loading. I used to like the lighter lines on rods once but have come to like heavier lines these days, quicker loading and faster shooting with less effort. Especially considering my neck injury, it's much easier on my neck to swing the rod less times and with less effort per time.

If it's all ya' got, put it on and fish it. Lots of info covering that situation in above posts. Dave, years, Many years ago a friend and I had identical outfits. Shakespeare Wonderod Bass Action 8 wts. He liked his with a 7 wt. and could false cast large amounts of line beautifully. Me, I went with a 9wt. Bass Bug Taper and could pick up a popper, let a little line slide back, do a mild haul and shoot the same amount of line in one cast as he did in four beautiful false casts. If it works for you go for it. If the 5 wt. just won't cut it start looking for a good used 6 wt. at reasonable cost.

It depends on how the rod casts a 6wt line now and what that line is. As mentioned some lines are 1/2 wt over, some even a full weight over the rating. Others are dead on, or like my old Orvis line is about a half under its rating in 6 wt. That line works beautifully on my 5 wt Batson Evolution rod I built.

So, assuming your rod is a true 6 wt rod and the line you want to use is a true 5 the you will false cast with more line in the air than with a true 6 wt line for the same loading. I used to like the lighter lines on rods once but have come to like heavier lines these days, quicker loading and faster shooting with less effort. Especially considering my neck injury, it's much easier on my neck to swing the rod less times and with less effort per time.

If it's all ya' got, put it on and fish it. Lots of info covering that situation in above posts. Dave, years, Many years ago a friend and I had identical outfits. Shakespeare Wonderod Bass Action 8 wts. He liked his with a 7 wt. and could false cast large amounts of line beautifully. Me, I went with a 9wt. Bass Bug Taper and could pick up a popper, let a little line slide back, do a mild haul and shoot the same amount of line in one cast as he did in four beautiful false casts. If it works for you go for it. If the 5 wt. just won't cut it start looking for a good used 6 wt. at reasonable cost.

K

I do basically the same thing vc, especially as I age and have an old neck injury I'd just as soon not irritate.