Fly Tying
robow7

Dying Pine Squirrel Zonker Strips ?

Has anyone ever been successful in dying pine squirrel zonker strips ? I would love to come up with a white, or as close to white as possible, zonker strip. Of course there is rabbit and even micro rabbit strips but was just curious if it possible. As always, thank you for your input.

If you want white you’re going to have to bleach it; don’t think you can dye something white.

Regards,

Scott

how about ermine zonker strips. Ermine, for those that don't know are weasels after they turn white in the winter. I bet you can get ermine skins on eBay.

If you want white you’re going to have to bleach it; don’t think you can dye something white.

I think you're correct, the more proper term would be to bleach it somehow.

If I was allowed to trap ermine on my proporty I would give the skin to you guys.

http://flyanglersonline.com/articles/readerscast/2010/readerscast20100125_tomdeschaine.php
http://www.uky.edu/~agrdanny/flyfish/petti.htm
https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/14973/
Fly-Tying Materials: Their Procurement, Use, and Protection by Eric Leiser
Dyeing and Bleaching Natural Fly-Tying Materials by A. K. Best, John Gierach

or

If you know a professional beautician she/he will have the materials and skills, it's basically peroxiding hair.

Got curious and did a quick check of my wholesaler (Wapsi Fly)... They list natural pine squirrel, and 12 dyed colors of pine squirrel zonkers - but no white or bleached ones.... The interesting thing is that among all the various zonkers they supply to fly shops around the world are both Mink zonkers and micro Mink zonkers - and they do come in white among other colors... Since most fly shops stock items from Wapsi you might find that your local shop can get them for you...

As a saltwater tyer I make my own zonker strips when needed - but only in rabbit... What I just learned is that my wholesaler (and by implication other outfits) have a much wider variety of zonkers than I knew of... Pine squirrel, Mink, Gray Squirrel, Rabbit, and even possum as well as finn raccoon.... Who knew?

Hope this helps

If you dye a tanned fur you'll have to re-tan it to keep it soft!  I tried doing a cold dye on some white arctic fox hide and while it came out okay still wasn't as flexible.  

8 hours ago, Fatman said:

If you dye a tanned fur you'll have to re-tan it to keep it soft!  I tried doing a cold dye on some white arctic fox hide and while it came out okay still wasn't as flexible.  

Welcome to the forum👍👍🎣🎣😎😎

Pine squirrel, or any Squirrel makes good zonker strips, but as has been said, unless it's natural color is white, you're better off using a different material such as rabbit. One of the appeals to using squirrel is the natural "grizzled) colors, so IMO bleaching it white defeats the purpose.  I really like using some of the various natural materials that have such grizzled color, because even when dyed, that coloration is still part of the end result. I really like Red Fox fur & tails for that reason. I feel it looks better that an all white material, particularly after it's been dyed. 

Bleaching tends to damage fur or hairs to some extent and almost never results in a bright white. Usually turns out more "bone" color or like an antique white if you get it that far. 

I've thought about using Ermine, but the hair is very short, and I generally tie larger flies, so not sure how much use it would get. It might be a good material for wrapping bodies on smaller, trout size flies. If I could get it at a reasonable price or free, and it was tanned, I would certainly give it a try. 

And yes, as Fatman said, if you dye a tanned material, especially with acid dyes, it removes the tanning chemicals and the hide will get hard & even brittle, so will need to be re-tanned. Frankly, for the cost of doing that you're better off buying the hides already dyed,  or strips in the colors you want. 

Norm, I've seen a few of those over the years, but not enough to be worth hunting for them specifically. If the opportunity allowed, that would be a good material in one's tying stash! I wouldn't turn it down, that's for sure!  👍 👍