Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

A couple of good books

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WYKnot

WYKnot

I may be retired....BUT YOU BETTER MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON TIME FOR MY SWAP MAGGOT...NOW DROP AND GIMME 20!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 08:16 AM

Lookin for some practical reading this winter? Want to stretch your tying skills and learn some new techniques? The following books are recommended.

Tying Small Flies, Ed Engle. Excellent resource for anyone new to the world of small flies. Patterns, methods, tips, and background information on fishing small flies.

Tying Flies the Paraloop Way, Ian Moutter. Well written, illustrated, and presented. Though not new, certainly a creative way to integrate a different tying style to existing patterns.

Russ Forney

#2 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 10:38 AM

I'll second that on Engle's book. I'm reading it now and find it quite good. Haven't seen the other book he mentions.

#3 rscconrad

rscconrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:12 PM

I'll second the paraloop book. I got that last winter and loved it.

This winter I jsut got hte tying emergers. I glaced through it but everones recomendation seems to be right on.

Thanks

Roebrt

#4 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (WYKnot @ Dec 3 2004, 09:16 AM)
Lookin for some practical reading this winter? Want to stretch your tying skills and learn some new techniques? The following books are recommended.

Tying Small Flies, Ed Engle. Excellent resource for anyone new to the world of small flies. Patterns, methods, tips, and background information on fishing small flies.

Tying Flies the Paraloop Way, Ian Moutter. Well written, illustrated, and presented. Though not new, certainly a creative way to integrate a different tying style to existing patterns.

Could you give more information on those books so I can order them.thanks
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#5 atroutbum2

atroutbum2

Swapaholic wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:56 PM

Daryn

try going to barnsandnoble.com. i just searched the site and found both books. i think the price is in us $.

If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is there to hear it. Is he still wrong?

Stupid should hurt.

#6 WYKnot

WYKnot

I may be retired....BUT YOU BETTER MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON TIME FOR MY SWAP MAGGOT...NOW DROP AND GIMME 20!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:27 AM

Daryn,

Order info below, most sites carry it or can order it; I found both on the shelf (one at Barnes and Noble and the other at Borders)

Tying flies the paraloop way
Ian Moutter
ISBN: 0881505544
Pub. Date: April 2002
Publisher: Countryman Press

Tying small flies
Ed Engle
ISBN: 0811700828
Pub. Date: April 2002
Publisher: Stackpole Books

Happy hunting.
Russ Forney