Fly Tying
rhuggins215

What have you tied today?

Okay ... I gotta say this. It looks like you're trying to use epoxy or UV resin to cover errors in the tying. Or you're trying to shape bugs out of the epoxy or UV resin. They are good mimics ... but not realistic.

They look like pretty good fishing flies, though.

Okay ... I gotta say this. It looks like you're trying to use epoxy or UV resin to cover errors in the tying. Or you're trying to shape bugs out of the epoxy or UV resin. They are good mimics ... but not realistic.

They look like pretty good fishing flies, though.

I agree mike, a little too much glue, Hopefully some of the great realistic tiers on here will chime in with a few tips! Thanks for posting Rh.

I'm also interested in what was used for the legs, etc. I have much more regard for a fly where the tyer made the parts him/herself instead of buying premade legs, etc. Those look manufactured, although they could by knotted barbs covered with glue.

What ever happened there I couldn't go to those lengths anyway. I'll stick with impressionistic fishing flies but give credit to those willing to get into ultra details. This one, I have to go with what others have already said, is covered up with a bit much resin by the looks of it. It renders it a plastic, or resin, model of a mayfly. Back off on the coating, let some fuzz show through and it will be more buggy looking. Just my opinion, my view, so don't take offense.

As to what I am tying personally, I'm trying some new patterns for caddis emergers. I have not been fully satisfied with my caddis emerger patterns and since I have put it off for 20 years now I figured that would be a good challenge for this winter !! I'm doing this on size 16-12 hooks, no crazy huge caddis and no 18's either. Although I know that both extremes exist where I fish. ya know a real caddis trailing a shuck that would normally be portrayed well in size 16 or 14 can be tied in 12 because of that trailing shuck. I find myself involved with this shuck idea that I always have avoided in the past. This time that seems to be a focal point. It stands to reason that tying a 14 could resemble a 16 or 18 real caddis etc..

Another rub in my winter game of caddis tying is locally the the spring caddis hatch is black. But up in Maine where I fish there are black at certain times of the year ( and small I might add), olives, browns and tan or even peach bodied caddis. So anyway, caddis emergers seems to be my winter focus. And of course the spring midges we get here but that is a standard for me.

i think they look cool, i dont believe they will be an effective go to pattern but they would make a cool decoration piece hanging out on a plant or somthing

You lay it on the table right near one of your lady guests and wait for the scream when she sees it.

I do agree with you all on the uv....Im trying to get a handle on it and slowly through my mistakes learn where to fix things instead of using uv. I have just started tying a couple months ago seriously and like the art of realistic tying. However I do fish also and create the flys that work.

As for the legs, I use either 20lb mono, or ya know those plastic things that hold tags on clothing....well, I ran out of mono a little while back and my wife .....yes my wife suggested I try that. low and be hold it worked. They do melt a little quicker when trying to position them with warm tweezers usually about 2-3 seconds of heat to the tweezers and they bend nice. For the spider I made that's on my other topic, I used tying wire for the legs.

I do appreciate all your comments, positive or negative, I can only learn from them. I know with time and patience I can only get better.

Dont take anyone's comments as negatives, constructive would be better. There are a few guys on here who tie amazing realistics. I would search for realistic and message those guys and adk them to critique them and give you some tips. Or do another post titled help tying realistic. A couple tips can make a world of difference!

There are some GREAT SBSs for realistics, too. Look up anything by Sergio Cordoba ... http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showuser=28982

Or Dronlee ... http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showuser=15876

Both do amazing stuff ... and Dronlee has some really simple Step-By-Steps for fishable realistics.

There are a lot of guys on this site ... and a browse through the SBS forum or this forum will give you ideas and knowledge.

Learn some of the techniques these guys show, and you'll go a long way to achieving your goals.

OH ... and has anyone heard from Dron lately???

Great, thanks for the tips guys. When I get a little time in the next couple days I wanna try a beetle....UV free..lol I'll post to see what you thing when I get it done.

I was just thinking about Dron.... haven't seen him here for ages. I looked and his last time logged on was Nov 20, 2015. Guess it wasn't all that long ago. Do go to his web site though... he has good SBS and he uses lots of ingenious materials.