Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

IPone camera...

This maybe redundant....

To get larger focused pics of small flies stuff I take pic with phone at nice focused distance then magnify with phone then take a screen shot to get larger sharper pic....

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.png

I just upgraded to the iphone 8 and first the camera is far superior to the iPhone 6. I'm very impressed! Second, that trick is what I've learned works the best. And I think it's because the camera is just so much better.

Not sure what you mean by take a screenshot.

This is what I do:

Take pic

Open in photos app

Tap Edit > crop/resize (icon looks like a square)

Two fingers to zoom, one to pan to your liking

Tap Done

That is how I go from this:

post-52874-0-12917200-1514863658_thumb.jpeg

To this:

post-52874-0-00027700-1514863702_thumb.jpeg

Not sure what you mean by take a screenshot.

On computers and laptops, there's always a "prt sc" or "print screen" button. It save an image of what ever is on the display screen.

You can then save that and edited as a photo.

I hate smart phones (I have a flip phone, no camera, no texting ... just a phone), so I don't know if the same feature is available on those.

I know what the PrtSc key does. I am not so young! :)

I was wondering if he meant something different in the context of the Photos app.

Yes, you can take screenshots on mobile devices, but there is no need for a screenshot of a pic if you can just edit the pic and crop it.

I have an IPhone 7. The camera is extremely good at a nice focused distance, zoomed in. Too far and zoomed its grainy, too close and it's not focused. It has a sweet spot with the zoom. No fly pic but here's an example of the quality I can get with this phone. First pic, sweet spot. Second, too close. Third, too far. No cropping necessary.

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

Fisherboy !!!
Are you taking pictures of those in the wild or in an aquarium ???

I recognize the Tiger Salamander ... but is that other one Red Eft (Newt)?

Great pictures, either way.

I'm still clunking around on my 5s, which when I bought it 3 years ago nearly made me faint with the sticker price. It stopped working this December and after waiting several days for an appointment time the Apple "genius" barrista said it's water damaged (from atmospheric moisture), couldn't be fixed, would cost $1000 from a third party vendor he recommended even just to get my pics off it, and I'd have to buy new phone. Then I went to a local fix-it vendor and for $60 he recovered my pics, replaced the battery and got my phone working again, all in the course of an hour... Long story, but... I do really like my iPhone, I really dislike Apple, and I'm way way too cheap to shell out the big bucks for a 7 or 8. After this one dies I'm sadly retreating back to a $30 phone and relying on a camera for pics and a computer for internet. Only 53, but the world has just started moving way too fast for me.

Super nice nature pics by the way....

My work phone is an iPhone, but my personal phone is an Android. Why you ask? Because it does everything I need it to and some things better than the iPhone, for 1/4 of the price.

Nothing we can do about the moving on, I just do not like the direction in which we are moving.

Fisherboy !!!

Are you taking pictures of those in the wild or in an aquarium ???

I recognize the Tiger Salamander ... but is that other one Red Eft (Newt)?

Great pictures, either way.

In the wild. The first pic is a Cave Salamander, the second a Green Salamander, and the third a very young Northern Watersnake. All within a few yards of eachother in Chattanooga, Tn back in late September. They were here. (Also an iPhone 7 shot.)

Edit: I can't get the photo to upload without cropping out most of it. :(

What he means y a screen shot is that you can capture a photo of whatever is showing on the screen by pressing the on/off button and home button at the same time for one or two seconds. You will hear a sort of click. Then go to your photos and you will see a folder called "screen shots" and there you will find a photo of what was on the screen.

Comes in handy for storing a lot of stuff for future viewing.

Cropping is just reducing the number of pixels saved. But you can resize a photo to keep the original but reduce the quality. Most people can't tell between a 4000x2000 and a 600x300 pixel photo online.

I do both. Crop the photo first, to get the best picture ... then resize it.

Since I am on a PC, I've got MSPaint, which allows for easy resizing. Most photo editing software will also give you that option.

I've never use them, but I've heard there are apps that are just for resizing.

Good luck.