Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Pattern books

What are some good pattern books out on the market.I have been tying my own creation flies for a while know and its time to make some actual flies.

Thanks

I don't think a better midge pattern can be found than Rick Takahashi's Modern Midges, it contains a binder full of over a 1000 patterns. When you ask for a pattern book, this is a true pattern book in that it eliminates all but 2-3 how to tutorials. It is simply a book full of pattern recipes.

Other good books

Secret Flies of Czech and Slovak anglers, available through Jan Siman (excellent source of materials as well)

Randall Kauffman's book on Nymphs is really good, the name escapes me.

Charlie's Fly Box is pretty good as well

Essential Trout Flies- Hughes is good

Fly Pattern Encyclopedia by Beatty is good, has over 1600 recipes

These are several of the many that I own. A good starting point is to buy a big generalized one, work your way through that, and then mix in the specialized ones as you need or see fit.

Another good place to view flies is Charlie's Fly Box. He has a website with many pattern tutorials, and is one helluva fly tyer. YOu will learn alot.

Also- Davie Mcphail and others via youtube is a good place.

The Randall Kaufmann books are pretty good - "Tying Nymphs" and "Tying Dry Flies". Good Step-By-Steps and photos.

Also "Fly Pattern Encyclopedia" from the Federation of Fly Fishers. Over 1600 patterns with Photos and recipes, no Step-By-Step. These are not your standard patterns, but rather a compilation of patterns from the Federation of Fly Fishers Conclave.

"Good Flies" by John Gierach. My favorite :D . Recipes and comments about each pattern. No Step-By-Step. Hand drawn pictures of each pattern. Kind of a "no nonsense" approach.

"Flies, Ties,& Techniques" by Charles Jardine. 50 patterns with recipes,with Step-By-Steps and comments on tactics and behavior for each one.

"Fly Tying Bible" by Peter Gathercole. 100 Trout and Salmon flies with Step-By-Steps and good photographs.

You might also take a look at some videos.

Some that I have which feature plenty of recipes include:

The Flies of Umpqua Feather Merchants by Kaufmann

Flies: The Best 1000 by Stetzer

Flies for Trout by Stewart/Allen

Flies for Steelhead by ditto

Flies for Bass and Panfish by ditto

Trout Flies: The Tier's Reference by Hughes

Wet Flies by Hughes

The Book of Fly Patterns by Leiser

Western Trout Fly Tying Manual v1 & v2 by Dennis

Tying Flies with Jack Dennis & Friends

Dry Flies by LaFontaine

Streamer Fly Tying & Fishing by Bates

Fly Patterns of John Goddard by Goddard

Micropatterns by Martin

I have a good number of other general tying books with a variety of dressings, too. Most of my "pattern guides" are for steelhead and Atlantic salmon, though, and I didn't bother to list them.

Most of what you'll see available are specialized (e.g., nymphs, dries, streamers, tiny stuff, saltwater, etc...). I don't own either, but Saltwater Fly Patterns by Kreh and Modern Midges (mentioned by HdV above) are two excellent examples of such books.

You can find recipes for most of the old standards at various websites, including some retailers. If you have good libraries near you, a visit there should be on your list.

"Trout Flies of the East" & "Trout Flies of The West" both by Ted Leeson & Jim Schollmeyer

"Inshore Flies" a saltwater pattern book by the same two fellows. :)

The Fly Tiers Benchside Reference by Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer is the most comprehensive reference manual the fly tying world has ever seen.

I copied and pasted the above.

“The Fly Tier’s Benchside Reference” by Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer is the most comprehensive reference manual the fly tying world has ever seen.

Yes, but that book consentrates on different tying techniques, not patterns. Excellent book and I recommend that to all fly tiers :)

Perrault's dictionary of fly patterns, a little different in the way it printed (no sbs) but with over 16,000 patterns.

I would add FISH FLIES The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art by Terry Hellekson. This is a compilation of his two volume FISH FLIES into one book.

“The Fly Tier’s Benchside Reference” by Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer is the most comprehensive reference manual the fly tying world has ever seen.

Yeah, no patterns in this one, but definitely the most comprehensive fly tying book I have ever seen. I also highly recommend this book.

As far as patterns, I own a few books, but mostly these days I have just been Googling the patterns that I am looking for. Sometimes, I also purchase a fly from my local shop to copy.

Some from the shelf of my library. These books can be found on the internet...cheap!

Fishing Flies and Fly Tying, Blades

Trout, Bergman

Fly Tying, Sturgis

Flies, Leonard

How To Fish From Top To Bottom, Gordon

Noll Guide To Trout Flies, Noll

Match The Hatch, Schwiebert

Nymphs, Schwiebert

McClane's New Standard Fishing Encyclopedia, McClane

Selective Trout, Swisher and Richards

Art Flick's master fly tying guide, Flick

Salt Water Flies: popular patterns and how to tie them, Bay

Streamers and Bucktails the big fish flies, Bates

Hatches, Caucci and Nastasi

I don't know how many patterns in this list, but it's a bunch!

BTW...Someone got me a copy of "The Fly Tiers Reference" for xmas one year. Cost them something like $100 bucks. I brought it back. I didn't find a thing in there that was new. You can buy all the books I listed for less than that one book. YMMV.