Fly Tying
sniksoh

storing flash

Where does everyone store there flash when they are not tying (other than the package). i wanted to get some other ideas for this. i keep mine hanging from the arm of my light. i dont like it to well but i have no other place i can think of. so i was wondering were you guys put yours to give me some ideas.

thanks,

sniksoh

Flasha-go-round (Wapsi). I can supply you with such beautiful tools. Free shipping.

I just keep stuff like Krystal Flash and Flashabou in the original packaging and stack the packs in an empty soup can, like pencils in a pencil holder. Just cut a small 1/4" slit on one edge of the plastic sleeve near the top (the end where the plastic tie is). Use your bodkin to pull out of the slit as many strands as you need and snip with your scissors near the tie knot for your fly. Keeping the rest of the strands you're not using in the plastic sleeves until you need them will keep everything from snarling.

It's not very high tech or elegant, but a Campbells soup can can hold a ton of packs with a small footprint. I have 20 in one now. It also makes them easy to take along on a trip, just throw the packs of flash in a plastic zip lock, or rubber band them together. The original packaging sleeves will keep the strands in good shape.

peregrines

I haven't found anything as affordable as the original packaging.... I cut the bottom out of the long plastic bag it comes in, so the bag is open on both ends. that way I just pick out as many strands as I want. If it gets tangles, I just pull it out, straighten it, and slip it back in. No problems and no special thingamajigs. I have several plastic organizing drawers on my bench, and one drawer is for flash and synthetic hair. Haven't had any problems with this system yet.

I keep my flash strapped in the zip tie it comes with and just pop that down in the original bag and in goes the flash and leave it at that.

I go through flash pretty quickly, and use whole packages at once instead of a few strands. I use slatboard like in a fly shop, and I keep Flashabou on it's original card if I don't use all of it at once. I've got other types of flash in other types of packaging, but it all hangs on slatboard on the wall.

PA260011.jpg

I go through flash pretty quickly, and use whole packages at once instead of a few strands. I use slatboard like in a fly shop, and I keep Flashabou on it's original card if I don't use all of it at once. I've got other types of flash in other types of packaging, but it all hangs on slatboard on the wall.

PA260011.jpg

Where can I order some of that Flash in the middle of your slatboard! :bugeyes:

i store my flash materials in the original zip lock bag they came in and multiple packages in another suitable zip lock bag. keeps all of the flash materials together in one place.

kflash.jpg