Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
add147

Regal Revolution Vise...How many tie on them???

Before I begin please do not tar, feather, and burn me at he stake for asking my question. Everyone has their own personal preference on the type of vise they tie on and I am not asking what is the best vise to tie on or what everyone prefers. I like the Regal vises and I will be in the process of purchasing a Regal Revolution vise soon. I like the fact that all I have to do is open up the jaws, place the hook in, and away I go. My question is how many here actually ties on a Regal Revolution vise? Please post you likes and dislikes if you do not mind or PM me. Thanks for the feed back and I greatly appreciate your time!!!

I don't know the brand names, but I don't think these are "Regal's".

Here's my two main vises ...

This is my home use vise (the silver one), next to the old vise before I sold it (the red one).

And this is my travel vise.

I went with durability, you know? No chipping out the jaws with an 0/7 hook with these babies !!!

A little crowded when I am tying a size 44 deer hair bug or streamer ... but I never have to worry about the hook moving !!!

The travel vise is a bit heavy ... it's a pain getting that through the security as "carry-on".

And for you doubting thomases ... here's a picture of a 44 deer hair hopper (at the tip of the large arrow) and a size 50 "Surf Candy" (at the tip of the small arrow).

Unfortunately, just after the picture, a gust of wind blew both of these flies somewhere and I can't find them for a better picture.

I currently tie on a revolution vise and I switch between the stainless jaw and the big game jaw (The ratio is probably 80% stainless to 20% big game.) I was kind of skeptical at first, but I really love the vise due to the ease of use and hook holding power, and it's what I prefer to tie on right now. The only reason I switch to the big game jaw is if I tie something bigger than a size 1.

cheech,

I am leaning toward the big game head because I do live in East Texas so I will be tying flies for those big ole large mouth bass as well as pan fish and for trout whenever I get the opportunity to fish up in southeastern Oklahoma. My question to you is the stainless steel head a stronger type head. I have and older Regal vise that has been modified with an after market rotary handle and it has a big game head on it that has the 3 slots on it for hooks. The first slot has been chipped I guess from the previous owner trying to shove to large of a hook in the slot. From what I have read the newer Revolution vises only have 2 slots in the head for hooks or maybe it no slots at all I cannot remember. What does your big game head have?

cheech,

I am leaning toward the big game head because I do live in East Texas so I will be tying flies for those big ole large mouth bass as well as pan fish and for trout whenever I get the opportunity to fish up in southeastern Oklahoma. My question to you is the stainless steel head a stronger type head. I have and older Regal vise that has been modified with an after market rotary handle and it has a big game head on it that has the 3 slots on it for hooks. The first slot has been chipped I guess from the previous owner trying to shove to large of a hook in the slot. From what I have read the newer Revolution vises only have 2 slots in the head for hooks or maybe it no slots at all I cannot remember. What does your big game head have?

Mine has 2 slots. It holds everything I have thrown at it.

I think the stainless allows them to create more of a sharp point without as much fear of chipping the jaws. Don't quote me on that one, but it's my guess.

Well if I chip the jaws surely they would replace them I hope. For that kind of money I would think so!

Well if I chip the jaws surely they would replace them I hope. For that kind of money I would think so!

You would think...but as i found out they won't. But they are still a very good vise. Pray you never chip them. I have 4 older ones. One chipped...i can't figure out how. But they will not replace the jaws. I quit trying YEARS ago.

It was about 10 years ago...Basically they said, so what it isn't our fault. And i went searching for a new vise. I have bought a couple of Regals since then but that response did something to me. I no longer trust them and that can never be bought back.

But i do use them for beginning tiers because they are so easy to use and set-up. They just killed my faith with such a cold response. But they are good untill...That is something i feel they try to hide and ignore rather than fix. Just my own view.

I love my Regal Revolution. I tie flies and jigs for largemouth, smallmouth, crappie jigs, and panfish. Smallest hook I have used is a #16. Largest hook is a 6/0.

Actually, I was just joking about it.

I tied on a $29.00 Supreme vise for a couple of decades. Now I have an Odyssey Spider Vise. I've never had a jaw chip out on me.

What do you guys mean it is chipping?

The black paint or the metal itself?

years ago regal vise jaws were notorious for their jaws chipping but it was supposedly operator error as the hooks werent properly seated in the jaws

nothing to do with paint

http://regalvise.com/hook-alignment.html