Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jokesr1629

wooly worm tying

is it possible to tie wooly worms so that when fished tandem with smaller nymphs it does not get stuck on the bottom constantly. maybe like a jig rig with the hook point up? fishing is mostly fast rivers with variable depths 6 to 15 inches. close to bottom is desired. any response is appreciated

joe

Welcome to the site, Joe.

The problem I see is the line, "Fishing is mostly fast rivers with variable depths 6 to 15 inches." I don't think a jig style hook will help, since you'll have a tumbling fly regardless. The drag of a dropper will pull a jig hook in ways you don't plan.

I would recommend figuring what weed guard you like best, and tying your buggers with a weed guard.

With 6 to 15" one would think your always fishing close to the bottom. I fish almost exclusively rocky shallow rivers, not quite 6" to 15" rivers but at times im fishing 15" or water. I've learned to live with the hang ups. I've tried all the wonder methods and found they all snag. Those who preach how expert they are at not snagging are full of crap or they aren't catching as many fish as they could be. The bottom line is if your going to bounce bottom your going to lose flies/jigs which is why I make them myself. I don't blink an eye at break offs.

Do you weight your wooly? Maybe try less material or using different materials to give it a more neutral buoyancy. Try using peacock or ostrich herl (especially for the smaller sizes) and move more towards dry hackle. Youi don't want it to float of course, but lighter materials may help.

is it possible to tie wooly worms so that when fished tandem with smaller nymphs it does not get stuck on the bottom constantly. maybe like a jig rig with the hook point up? fishing is mostly fast rivers with variable depths 6 to 15 inches. close to bottom is desired. any response is appreciated

joe

In water that is 6 to 15 inches deep, are you not always "close to the bottom"?

Just a suggestion - with that kind of water, I'd be fishing a dry dropper rather than 2 nymphs.

Agree with above. Dry with light nymph or just a plain dry F fly or bobs bits or similar emerger style.