Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Philly’s new popper

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=89218&page=1

Here's a couple of poppers I finished up yesterday. Plan to use them for bass, chain pickerel, pike. Might even fish them in salt water.

P2040450 (2).JPG P2040452 (2).JPG

P2040455 (2).JPG P2040456 (2).JPG

Have you tried them yet? Interesting the thru/ hollow body; does it pop or more like gurgle? Bubble trail! Sometimes a suck like sound works better for bucketmouths than regular PLOPS like pops. Is that a big glass rattle inside? Work in progress!

Sorry for moving this over here. I try to avoid that forum. I dont fit in. No feathers.

Noticed the foam baitfish with the nifty copic paint deal video looks like looking into also. Others would call this lure making cuz no feathers....

My first attempt. I dusted with glitter powder before torching the UV resin. I did the tail outa rehab elastic.

C766297-F-BC8-F-4063-A5-CF-5-D1-FC8-EA37

389-EC464-5-FC8-4-F90-B147-1469-CC97527-

1-A5-F8-AAA-AE42-40-BE-8088-E215-A5-A796

2nd attempt and added 5mm glass rattle. Even though big bulky the foam made strong by the resin will cast like reg popper.

96-C4-F672-DAC1-458-A-B398-DA28209-CDD21

289-F5-F9-E-F6-C1-4-BBE-A045-00498-F89-F

I was planning on posting them here at some point. Thanks for doing it. No feathers on mine, artificial hair for the tail. I watched the first video. I figured they were complicated. Three pieces to put it together. Mine's one piece. I'll take some pictures of the templates I used for the ones I posted. Good start. Did you cut the gill slits after you formed the body? Or form them with the head? I might have some tails that I picked up but I don't think I ever used them. I'll have to see if I can find them and see what they look like. I put my rattles on the bottom of the hook, to add weight and get the fly to float straight up rather than on it's side when it's sitting still. I've only had to chance fish them twice, once in the spring and I used the one I had made in the class. I fished in short strips so it did pop, and ended up landing an 18 or so inch largemouth. In the fall fished a couple I had made but it was a bad week for all of us. The guys with me fishing lures caught a couple. Again I fished it in short strips. The ripping motion they used in the fancy popper video wouldn't work in fresh water around here. Not even sure it would work in salt water with stripers and blue fish around here.

I have the copic pens but not the sprayer. I still use permanent markers most of the time since it's easier to blend the colors with them, though a touch of alcohol lets me blend the copic pens.

How do yours ride in the water. Straight up or on their side? I just tore apart the minnow one I posted I wanted the gills wider and I needed the rattle for it's replacement.

Gotta try mine out. Kinda a pain to do. The one piece way seems better. Im having trouble with my Krazyglue and the foam. Never had trouble before. I do the glitter rather than paint. Works with the Solarez. Gotta keep plenty of hook bite exposed. I posted mine on my FB and link to the kit and my daughter ordered it. Looks like kit makes 6 ea. Could use for patterns. Did you see by the video where theyre taking foam and making a bait fish? Almost lure making to some people.

Foam stickbait

Copic/spray looks nifty need check it out, pricey?

66-C3-F555-22-A8-46-D7-B096-E51-EA90-C51

I think mine are junk. Gonna have to ballast. Forgot the lead wraps. They gonna lay flat. Left too much foam in the tails. The tails are cut from rehab elastic stretch stuff.

I think that's where the guy who came up with the pattern I'm playing with got his idea. I haven't tried the idea of fusing the foam. Might be easier than trying to use super glue to put them together. I saw something like that in one of the videos that denduke posted. I've seen varying stories on the origin of Blado's Crease fly. It was intended to be floating pattern that did ride on it's side. I've been weighting mine to get them to sit upright. I'll tie them with either an open face or a narrow face. They've been effective fished off a sinking line in shallow water, 4 to 8 feet deep, with a leader an 8 foot leader.

I hoping that the large gill openings will allow me to do the same thing with these.

Gotta try mine out. Kinda a pain to do. The one piece way seems better. Im having trouble with my Krazyglue and the foam. Never had trouble before. I do the glitter rather than paint. Works with the Solarez. Gotta keep plenty of hook bite exposed. I posted mine on my FB and link to the kit and my daughter ordered it. Looks like kit makes 6 ea. Could use for patterns. Did you see by the video where theyre taking foam and making a bait fish? Almost lure making to some people.

Foam stickbait

Copic/spray looks nifty need check it out, pricey?

66-C3-F555-22-A8-46-D7-B096-E51-EA90-C51

That video was interesting. I think I tried doing that at some point, might have been trying to make a Rattle Trap. I've certainly done my share of trying to make my favorite lures into flies, some worked, some didn't.

Simple fix by adding worm weight pieces to a slit under the tail. Shore set deep in the surface? Still aint popped em yet....before I go further gonna wait for the kit. Sposed to be here Tuesday. Eats up Solarez is problem. They gonna have to bubble trail, slurp, cut up, dive like crazy to warrant it.

0-DCE361-D-F47-A-4987-B7-EA-BF97-DE0005-

43-E2-ED2-C-CA4-B-45-BE-92-CB-C626613-E0

They look good. The rattles have to go up front when I use them and they bring the head down lower in the water. I've got plenty of worm weights, since I don't plan on using rattles on all of the big ones I'll wrap in a worm weight further back on the hook shank and see how the fly rides. I took some pictures of the template I'm using to make these. It starts with a foam rectangle 80 mm long and 60 mm wide. I find it easier to use milometers to get exact measurements.

post-309-0-50042700-1581213211_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-65946900-1581213248_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-31587400-1581213302_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-53222700-1581213347_thumb.jpg

This is a redo of the "minnow" pattern

post-309-0-72239900-1581213485_thumb.jpg post-309-0-20191600-1581213540_thumb.jpg

I'll try and take some pictures of them floating in the water, but I want to "tie" one with a worm weight further back and see what the difference is.

Lapping the foam to glue is better like a crease fly. Tryin to butt glue is tough. I dont see how they do the videos w/Gorilla glue too slow to dry. My tails are too much foam but gots have enough to hold to the head. The hollow head not floating much so reduce tail foam hopefully reduce ballast weight needed to track right. I would like the head at least half outa da water. Gotta not kill the hook bite gap also. I think our mods are better than the kit.... gonna be work in progress.

The foam stick bait might be substituted with foam discs alternating with craft fur to make a floater. RattleTrap sounds like a challenge for sure...

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=87526

Oops you were part in the post.

IMG-4683.jpg

I'd give the flexible ca glues a try for coating them, probably be a great glue for the whole thing, it's by far my favorite glue I've found for fly tying, it's great for other things too.

I cuss the Krazyglue but only thing that dries almost instantly. What others do that? I was thinking catching the shapes, main things with the Solarez then maybe SHHardasnails the rest of it and do my glitter dust along the way. But it aint quite really hard as nails especially on foam. Interesting in the original video with the GreatTravali crunching one in his mouth(?)