Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

9' 9wt Saltwater rod

NUhWTQ.jpg
mGNk4n.jpg
fmI7CJ.jpg
jX5iu1.jpg
MfII5s.jpg

This one is a fast action 9wt for a saltwater angler. Braided seat with exposed blank, custom grip & butt out of various burl corks, royal blue with metallic aquamarine to keep in touch with the whole saltwater theme look.

Very nice! Mlandry hope you have a great time with those stripers. Steve ever build a 71/2' or 8' nine weight ? thinking of a shorter rod for kayak fishing.

To the best of my knowledge I don't recall seeing many if any 9wts under 9ft, but I will look around and see if any of my suppliers happen to carry one and let ya know.

Any spin or casting rod rated for 1/2 oz. or 5/8 oz. in 71/2' or 8' should cast a 9wt. line..it doesn,t have to be a fly blank..tape on guides and do some test casting..CPH, if you have a spin rod already built at about 1/2 oz. rating put your fly real on and try a two hand cast..you might be very surprised.

True that a blank does not know what it is being built into, so I have in the past used fly blanks for spin rods and visa versa. Only thing is when you're talking about the larger end of the spectrum such as a spin blank that can cast 5/8oz or more, they usually have a very large butt diameter because of the taper and that doesn't always make the best fly rod.

believe me Steve, a large diameter butt does no harm but is needed to carry all the weight of the line plus a large wet wind resistant fly..here,s a Lamiglas IMC904-T rod with 720 grain 27' skagit shooting head line that easily tosses a 150 grain fly up to 50' or more but it takes two hands which makes it a lot easier to go all day or all night using a normal overhead backcast...

post-55674-0-64167400-1523744570_thumb.jpg

Never said it was "wrong" just simply that I personally don't care for a real big butt diameter for a fly rod for a few reasons.

On your rod in the pic you have a graphite seat and EVA grips. Nothing wrong with those, but they just aren't my taste for the rods I build. With a very large butt diameter you are forced to use more of the graphite seats or the Alps triangle seats because its hard to find fly seat hardware that will accept such a large diameter and still have enough wall thickness in the insert to not crack. There are fast taper fly blanks that accomplish the ability to throw a large water soaked fly with a much smaller butt diameter so I always like to go with that myself. Nothing wrong with a larger butt, just not my taste for my own rods is all.

Can't call me sir-mix-a-lot because I don't like big butts and I can not lie lol laugh.png

Still LOL, that,s funny..if i was building rods to sell, i would try to build the same as yours but since i build for me only i build to my taste..i like fly rods under 8' and built to cast with both hands..bass don,t care how many hands i use..lol..short rods also bring a fish to hand quicke, less exhausted..longer rods whip fish down and too often they come in belly up..i love EVA grips. cheap and they work..most of the time i will flock them to pretty them up a little..cork has pits and when the mud falls out the grip is very harsh unless you refill them and they are way too costly..i,m building a tool not a monument..lol.. i look at my flies in the same way, just tools..but fun tools to make..lol.