Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Lineology..?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:18 PM

When you purchase a new line do you consider the specified application for the line or just go for the old WF, DT or sinking lines?
I have seen nymphing lines, lines designed to roll cast better, bass lines, redfish, tarpon etc.

In your opinion do you think they are gimmick or are they for real?

Reason I ask. I need a new line for my 5wt. I spend 80% of my time nymphing with and with out an indicator.
Will a line designed for nymphing, improve my nymphing..?

I'd like to think there are some benefits.
The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#2 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:55 PM

Being in an age group that can speak to differences between 'then' and 'now', I'm with technology making a difference in this day and age. Today, I will buy a line or lines designed to do specific jobs; years ago, we were more creative in how we did what we wanted to because we had to accept what was available.

Way back when, before AFTMA brought line(s) into "line", so to speak, you were at the mercy of the manufacturer on weight and style and quality. Today, everyone has to be competitive; polymer technologies and exact positioning of line shoulders and breaks are closely guarded secrets. Advancements in technology, by application, will put more and more lines into the marketplace, but- each has a job to do.

I still tend to relate a line construction to how I want to fish it, but by my owning what are now 'antiques' made by outfits such as Gladding and 3M, as well as having been dragged into the 21st century, kicking and screaming as I was-

I'm glad outfits like Cortland and Airflo have made integrated running lines; polymers have been stiffened so tropical heat doesn't turn a shooting head into sticky spaghetti, and people have tried to make technology work for us all.

#3 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:46 PM

Kevin,
I'm not real picky abut lines, I tend to stick with general purpose lines, all weight forward, floating and sinking.

Except for Tarpon and Bonefish because of the specific requirements for those fish: hot weather, a quick release ( roll cast, shoot the backcast and let 'er rip), fly size, etc. Other than that I'll pretty much buy whatever is on sale.

TB
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image