Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

One fly, any pattern.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:05 PM

I've always been challenged by the idea of the "One-Fly" competition that's held every year. It has gotten me to the point where for the last two seasons, I've been toying with the idea of heading out for a day with only one fly type. I know the competition limits you to literally one fly, but I ain't talkin' about a money trip, just the challenge, so I'd be carrying a dozen.

So, to make this interesting...

...in order to survive, to feed yourself and your loved ones, you must catch fish. However, you may only have one (AND THE ROCK MEANS ONE!!) type of fly, in one pattern only. Don't ask me what conditions, don't say it depends on the conditions, you are not permitted any other option than to grab that fly/streamer and go!

Which one do you grab?

For me, it's a Black Wooly Bugger in size 10 with Pearl flashabou tied in. This is the one fly that has never failed to get me at least a 'Gill if nothing else. Winter thru Summer, lake, river and stream, it always produces.

(I was tempted to say my Notta Bugger, but despite it not failing me, I've only fished it for a year, so the jury is still out.)

One day this Summer, we're gonna hafta hold the first annual FTF One Fly tournament!
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:14 PM

One fly huh (first take that fly shine it up real good,turn it.....) laugh.gif hey you started the rock thing bud!

Sence you took the woolybugger mad.gif then i'd have to say a hares ear in a size 10. They are a very basic imitation that can imitate a great deal of insects in the nymphial stage so that would cover a great deal of flies for a great deal of species!

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:24 PM

A white Estaz Bug
"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#4 redneckfisherman

redneckfisherman

Pygmy Deer Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 12:34 AM

red taile spider!
GIT ER DUN!!!!!

#5 ridderbos3

ridderbos3

"Sorry boss I seem to have anal glaucoma. I just cant see my ass going to work today"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 01:11 AM

a black byrds gillbuster!!!!!!!!

JOhn

#6 Troutman

Troutman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 01:12 AM

I have several but if I had to have one to cover me on streams and still water I think I'd grab a PTN. punk.gif

Jim

#7 J Desjardins

J Desjardins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:25 AM

A black wooly bugger. But if I have to eat, it might get tipped with garden hackle. devil.gif
John Desjardins

#8 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:40 AM

A Clouser, chartreuse over white
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#9 JackG

JackG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 12:26 PM

Olive BeadHead Wooly Bugger

#10 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 12:45 PM

If I need a fly that's gonna attract several different species, it would need to be something that imitates a baitfish. Regardless of the species, all big fish eat little fish. With all due respect to the previously mentioned nymphs, they are specialty flies and IMO have too narrow of a niche to be used as survival tools.

That being said, I too would have to opt for the wooly bugger. It imitates baitfish very well, but it can also imitate many other food forms. I think the pattern's appeal lies in that it doesn't represent anything specific, but it imitates many things in general. So even if a fish isn't actively seeking baitfish, this fly may be mistaken for another food item anyway.

And if we're discriminating fresh from salt, then my salty choice would be a clouser minnow. Same reason....big fish eat little fish. smile.gif
Mark

#11 redneckshadrap

redneckshadrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 01:00 PM

Sparkle Minnow....

Billy

Billy Elkins
-founder-
TheCreekBank.com

#12 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 01:25 PM

I'd go with a bead head brown bugger size 12
The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#13 pacres

pacres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 02:03 PM

giffiths gnat size 12. I can fish it wet or dry, and have good luck in rivers and still water smile.gif

#14 Big Daddy Hubbard

Big Daddy Hubbard

President of the North Alabama Steelhead Assoc., Hogswaller, KY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 02:07 PM

size 12 Pheasant Tail....takes trout, panfish, the occassional bass, and even frogs....

#15 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 02:26 PM

Hare Ear nymph
user posted image