Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

good bass bug line

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:18 AM

i need a good bass bug line for a 6wt. i have a St Croix imperial 9ft 6wt i have a orvis wonerline :thumbsdown" ont it now and hate it. tip sinks, coils up bad and the yellow color stained really quick. but on the other hand i paid $5 for it as a dealer promo at the orvis outlet in Salem VA. so guess no biggy since i have used it 2 years! so what i'm a tightwad. no i will pay for a good line so any help would be nice and how about going to a 7wt bass bug lines i am not sure it the moderate action rod would handle it.
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#2 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:35 AM

I have the Orive bass line on my 7wt. I even use it for steelheading.

It rolls over a large fly or a lot of lead shot well. Takes some effort to get it to roll cast and turn over. I have to give it more umphf as I bring down the rod.

It was only sale for $20.00 a couple years ago and I still have no problems with cracking or the tip sinking. Only problem is its orange.
The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#3 Sticky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 10:47 AM

The Rio Clouser line has had great reviews, I'm planning on buying one for my 6 weight smallie rig.

#4 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 02:04 PM

I pretty much own Cortland or Airflo lines; for your question I'd be inclined to look at all the different tapers offered by the manufacturers, but I can't see why a good old WF won't do the job.

#5 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 07:37 PM

Rio Clouser line kicks BASS!!

I've been using it for two years and it made a difference from the very 1st cast. It turned flies like Clousers and big Stonefly nymps so much better than other lines I honestly thought I was overcompensating my casts! I really, really like it for big flies.

On another note, I tried the Wonderline and had the same results flymaster did. I will not buy that line again.
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!

#6 mitch

mitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 10:30 PM

Check the board at FLY FISHERMAN's Virtual Fly Shop:
http://shop.flyfishi...etails/6129.htm

#7 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 02:05 AM

do they make the closer line in a 6wt though though it began at 7wt!
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#8 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 02:08 AM

mitch thanks loooking at a air-flo bug line the bass finder anybody ever used it. only $30 so not bad! i had a air-flo 4wt coiled like steal cable in the cold though. this won't be in the cold so it shouldn't matter.
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#9 Sticky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (flymaster @ Feb 2 2004, 02:04 AM)
do they make the closer line in a 6wt though though it began at 7wt!

Yes, in the cold water design.

#10 jsb2l

jsb2l

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 01:52 PM

I use the Rio Clouser line and it is simply the best! Check Ebay for some good deals right now.

#11 Big Daddy Hubbard

Big Daddy Hubbard

President of the North Alabama Steelhead Assoc., Hogswaller, KY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:02 PM

I use Cortland and Sci. Angler exclusively....always have, always will...just my own preference......DT WF for the creeks and streams and Level floating for the still water.....

#12 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:40 PM

have always used SA myself except the orvis lines i got cheap. but i liked the air-flo it was a loner line from a SA that the guy at the fly shop sent back for me it just started cracking after about 3 months use. they replaced it and no problems since. oh ya i have a cort. 333 i have had forever still kickin and kickin good too.
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#13 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,768 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 05:12 PM

I cant comment on the bass line but others have awnsered that already but i will comment on the wonderline since others have mentioned there displeasure with it.

I thought it was just me,i have heard all the "good" things about how slick it is and how it casts so well but i used it all last season and i really cant tell one bit of difference between it and any other line i have used. except for the fact that it set me back about $20 more than the others.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#14 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 07:00 AM

this has turned into a scrap heap for junk wonderline instead of a question and answer.
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#15 Big Daddy Hubbard

Big Daddy Hubbard

President of the North Alabama Steelhead Assoc., Hogswaller, KY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 02:40 PM

if you had a line that cracked after a few months, it is probably due to a manufacturing error, or MASSIVE abuse and seroius exposure to heat or UV rays...the former is more likely...I do however use Armor All to clean and protect my lines...I have a Cortland line that was my Grandad's. Close to Twenty years old now....no cracks...still casts like a dream....Wish I could help you more Flymaster, but I have only used the two Aforementioned brands...sorry